Bench saw in the UK

Hi everybody, I am looking for a small bench saw and would like some advice about the ones I fancy.

Either the Scheppach TS2010 or the Elektra Beckum PK200.

Anyone have experience of these saws, good or bad, problems etc. I would appreciate your input.

Cheers

Oldun PS remove OXO to reply.

Reply to
Oldun

_HOW_ MUCH_!?!

Either of these is a fine 200 quid saw, from a well known maker. Shame they're selling them for approximately twice what they're worth.

Neither of these saws deserves more than a moment's consideration - because they're 8" saws, not 10".

On the good side, they have induction motors. The comparable saws (except one from Record) are brush motors, so they're very noisy on startup. But get some earmuffs and stop worrying about it.

The EB's retractable riving knife is nice, as it removes the temptation to remove the knife when cutting dadoes (and not always replacing it afterwards).

IMHE, there are no UK saws worth buying in this pricerange. £200 gets you an Axminster BTS10PP, £500 gets you a S/H Wadkin, £800 gets you an interesting new saw. £400-600 and shopping new though just buys you a cheap saw with a big pricetag.

The Scheppach appears to have a better fence adjuster than usual, but the build quality of neither Scheppach nor Elektra Beckum has ever been impressive for rigidity or accuracy.

The Elektra Beckum does offer a sliding table option (and a £650 pricetag)

at that level you're starting to look at the Axminster S80 instead
I'd suggest getting an Axminster BTS10PP for £200
is a staggering bargain, and quite a good saw even against comparison with the £400 machines. I still have one for on-site work.

It's somewhat crude, because of the brushed motor. But it works, is adequately solid and has a bigger table than you'll find elsewhere. The drawback is the fence, that's no more accurate than anything else for £200 - but then the £400 machines aren't much better.

It's even better if you can find an old one with the clear plastic bladeguard, rather than the recent one with the pointless dust extract hose fitting and the opaque plastic that stops you seeing what you're doing. I liked the old bladeguard so much I've fitted the same guard to two other machines.

If you have this sort of budget though (and you don't need portability), look at eBay for a S/H single phase Wadkin 10 AGS at around £500. Some patience will find you a good one within a day's drive.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

WHAT IF someone on England had a friend in the US or Canada on the east coast? Couldn't a 'paid for' gift be shipped over there? Because the economy there is so sad it's abominable. I cannot comprehend how it can be lived with! It upsets ME! Frankly if I was on the east I would do it. But I am on the west coast.

That saw you recommend is four TIMES as much a Ryobi is here...! No offence intended, sorry. I just had to say all that.

Reply to
AAvK

It isn't the economy that's bad, it is the high taxes. The economy does surprisingly well considering what consumers pay for everything. I saw the equivalent of my Bosch 4000 costs more in £'s than we pay in $'s here. That would about exactly double the cost at current exchange rates, and for that equivalent $1000 I would be in cabinet saw territory.

Reply to
Hax Planx

Hey Andy,

any thoughts on the SIP 01332 saw?

Micky

Reply to
Micky

Well the spec looks OK, and at £400 it might be a worthwhile saw. Haven't seen or used one though.

I've wasted far too much on SIP products (welders) in the past though.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

though.

Check out

for plenty of info on UK spec TSs. Andy, where's me twisted dovetail article then? And did you ever get the Wadkin arbor sorted?

Rgds

Noel

Reply to
c_address_below

Thanks to everyone for their helpfull comments, I am of course now left with another dilema. Should I look for a Wadkin 10AGS or buy the Axminster BTS10PP.

Perhaps I'll take a look at what Record have to offer!

Cheers

Oldun

Reply to
Oldun