Bench Grinders

I'm looking at buying a bench grinder at this point more for fixing and sharpening blades for hand tools. I keep hearing about either slower spinning wheels or variable speed versions. Right now I can get a good deal on a delta variable speed or a General international which is only one speed (slow). They are both 6" models. Any opinion on a good choice? Perhaps theres a better option.
Thanks,
Michael B.
I took a sharpening course at LV and the instructors mentioned several times that the slower 1700 rpm was preferred to the 3450 models. Even with the slow speed it's very easy to over heat certain steels. I bought the VS Delta and am happy with it. Make sure you get a white wheel for what ever you buy. Cheers, JG
Michael Billings wrote:

8" wheels, 1725 rpm's ,white or pink friable wheels. This would be an ideal grinder.Wish I had it, I have a 6" x 3/4" 3450 rpm grinder myself. When grinding high speed steel I turn the grinder on, let it come up to speed, then turn grinder off. Then apply tool to wheel until wheel stops. This is particularly effective for turning tools. mike
I just got an 8" 3/4 HP slow speed (1725 RPM) grinder from Woodcraft for $69 on sale. It came in perfect shape and works well. It doesn't have a light, but my shop's well lit.
David
Michael Billings wrote:

David wrote:

for
I bought a Delta Variable Speed GR450 8" grinder at Amazon last week for $99.99 minus $25 (coupon I had to buy a dial caliper to get over $125) and minus $30 rebate. Therefore $125 Grinder for $44.99. I don't know what they're waiting on, though. It still hasn't shipped. I've never had Amazon take this long on anything. I'm sure that I'll like it when it arrives. For $45, I'll love it.
On 26 Dec 2004 19:45:36 -0800, "robdingnagian1"

Why wait? Cancel it and order the Delta 31-080 or SA-150 1" belt/5" disc sander instead. They're REALLY handy and $10 cheaper than your sale item. The SA-180 looks even handier with both a longer belt and larger disc.
------------------------------------------------- - Boldly going - * Wondrous Website Design - nowhere. - * http://www.diversify.com -------------------------------------------------
On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 06:09:59 GMT, "Michael Billings"

Yes, a 1" belt sander is not as hard on the irons as a grinder. When I have to remove a chip, I'll sand past it with 120 grit. Then I take out my 600 grit diamond stone and clean it up, finishing the polishing with Scary Sharp(tm) paper in finer grits. (1000,1500)
------------------------------------------------------------- * * Humorous T-shirts Online * Norm's Got Strings * Wondrous Website Design * * http://www.diversify.com -------------------------------------------------------------
"Michael Billings" writes:

<snip>
"Larry Jaques" answers:

I'm with Larry on this one.
A bench grinder is the quickest way in the world to destroy a cutting tool IMHO.

That's more work than I'm willing to do or have been.
But then again, my biggest sharpening job right now is a 10" pair of shears (scissors) used to cut fiberglass cloth.
HTH
Lew
On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 22:00:59 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"

What? 5 minutes and I'm done. The diamond plate cuts quickly, then I lay a piece of ScaryPaper(tm) on it and on the table in front of it, give it a few slides, flip it and deburr, swap papers and do it again. I don't get anal about it but I do like 'em sharp. I bought a diamond cone for the gouges. Anywho, Scary is much faster than stones for me.

Do you do those with a jig or freehand?
"Larry Jaques writes:

Freehand.
The only time I ever use a jig is when it is time to stone my 10", forged steel, chef's knife.
Lew