Bench chisels

Page 2 of 2
On 3/21/2011 1:43 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

Interesting thing about the Narex mortise chisels. I just checked them again and that exact advertised width (actually the 3/8" chisel is a tad *over*, by about 1/64") only lasts for about a 3/4" to 1" length near the cutting edge. Beyond that it narrows in width towards the handle by about 1/64" (up to 1/32" on the 1/2" chisel), presumably to alleviate binding in the mortise opening. I know some people get ridiculously aggressive when resharpening their tools, so conceivably you could burn through that 3/4" and find yourself with a chisel that's too narrow, but I can't imagine myself ever taking off more than an 1/8" in my entire lifetime, and probably not even close to that.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

I think chisles only have a short section near the tip hardened. So the 3/4" length that is the official width, is the only part of the steel that is hardened and will hold an edge. Once you grind that part away, the chisel is gone. It will no longer hold an edge. You would be sharpening soft steel then. The upper part of the chisel is soft and springy so you can pry on it and not snap it. If all the steel in the chisel was hardened, it would be dangerous to use.

Yes, you're mostly likely right about that. My curiosity about whether the narrowing of the shank was a common feature of all mortise chisels (this is the only set I've ever owned) caused me to forget about the fact the only the tips are likely to be hardened. I'm getting to the age where I can only keep so many things in my brain at one time. :-)
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
On 3/20/2011 4:57 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I bought a set of these bevel edge chisels (sans box) from Lee Valley about two years ago. They've fulfilled all my needs. http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p0028&cat=1,41504,43500&ap=1

I also have that set. Dependable.
Max

Here ya go... http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku=bescset