Bench chisels

Looking to get a good set of bench chisels 1/4" - 1" to replace my old ones. Looking for recommendations.

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
Jim in Milwaukee

FWW online has at least 2 recent reviews. You have to be a member ($15/yr), but there's a fee 2-week trial period.

I've got a set of the Japanese Blue Steel bench chisels. I'm quite satisfied.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

Marples Blue Chips were always a good deal. Here's a good deal on a 6pc (+ box) 1/4" to 1-1/4" set.

for $36 + $8 s/h
see that Irwin has bought Marples. Does anyone have an update on recent quality, since the change?

-- "I probably became a libertarian through exposure to tough-minded professors" James Buchanan, Armen Alchian, Milton Friedman "who encouraged me to think with my brain instead of my heart. I learned that you have to evaluate the effects of public policy as opposed to intentions." -- Walter E. Williams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Are you implying that Irwin is not of the finest quality? :)

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

My 100 year old set of Irwin auger bits certainly are.

Can't speak for the Irwin Chisels, but it's unlikely that they've changed anything other than the logo embossed on the handle.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Among various special-purpose chisels of higher quality than the ones I'm about to mention, I have a set of Marples and a set of these:

much prefer the Narex over the Marples, and at $10 a chisel, that's a *very* good deal for the quality you'll be getting. Even if you're looking to spend bigger bucks on top-quality stuff, you won't regret having these around.

The only downside is that the Narex chisels are ground to metric widths that approximate their inch equivalents, and this can be a pain when you really need an exact 1/4" width (for example). I reground the 10mm, 20mm, and 26mm chisels to be exactly 3/8", 3/4", and 1" respectively, but the other three chisels in the set are undersized and you can't do much about that...

Reply to
Steve Turner

They don't look bad. How do the wooden handles handle a mallet?

WHAT? Don't you have mortising chisels for that? If not, get 'em, boy!

One of these days I'm going to cut that extra piece of leaf spring and turn it into a nice slick for myself. I'd accept one of these, tho.

"I probably became a libertarian through exposure to tough-minded professors" James Buchanan, Armen Alchian, Milton Friedman "who encouraged me to think with my brain instead of my heart. I learned that you have to evaluate the effects of public policy as opposed to intentions." -- Walter E. Williams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

-- "I probably became a libertarian through exposure to tough-minded professors" James Buchanan, Armen Alchian, Milton Friedman "who encouraged me to think with my brain instead of my heart. I learned that you have to evaluate the effects of public policy as opposed to intentions." -- Walter E. Williams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I have those as well, and they are also a very good quality product for a very good price. They don't take the place of regular general purpose chisels, but I do appreciate that they're in fractions of an inch instead of millimeters.

Reply to
Steve Turner

They've held up fine for me. No signs of splitting.

You've probably already seen my other post; I have a set of Narex mortise chisels as well. No power mortising machine for me; cutting mortises by hand is way too much fun!

Reply to
Steve Turner

I bought some HF chisels ($6 for the set) for handyman use. The Marples (wooden handled gouges and Blue Chip chisels) stay in my shop.

Good review for the Narex, complete with metallurgy info. Do watch it!

"I probably became a libertarian through exposure to tough-minded professors" James Buchanan, Armen Alchian, Milton Friedman "who encouraged me to think with my brain instead of my heart. I learned that you have to evaluate the effects of public policy as opposed to intentions." -- Walter E. Williams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
tiredofspam

Lee Valley has the Narex mortise chisels in fractional inch widths.

Artemus

I bought a set of these bevel edge chisels (sans box) from Lee Valley about two years ago. They've fulfilled all my needs.

Upscale

I have a januwine Steve Knight mallet, but I switched to a Shop Fox urethane mallet and absolutely adore it. Try one if you don't already own one.

For tight spaces, I use the little brass LV mallet. PRICY now.

>> The only downside is that the Narex chisels are ground to metric widths that

I'm a Normander here. I love knowing how to do them but prefer the machine. Hand-cutting mortises is too much like _work_.

-- "I probably became a libertarian through exposure to tough-minded professors" James Buchanan, Armen Alchian, Milton Friedman "who encouraged me to think with my brain instead of my heart. I learned that you have to evaluate the effects of public policy as opposed to intentions." -- Walter E. Williams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I also have that set. Dependable.

Max

Reply to
Max

Just don't use a hammer on them. DAMHIK.

Reply to
willshak

So you've measured them and they are actually the size they are marked? I've gotten burned on other chisels that were marked in inches but actually weren't.

And then there's the wood taps that are marked 1" but are actually 25mm.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Yes, I've measured them with my dial calipers and they were spot on.

Reply to
Steve Turner

Everyone should have one of those urethane mallets. Wunnerful!