Bench chisels

Page 1 of 2
Looking to get a good set of bench chisels 1/4" - 1" to replace my old ones. Looking for recommendations.
Thanks, Jim
On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 14:16:01 -0500, Jim in Milwaukee

FWW online has at least 2 recent reviews. You have to be a member ($15/yr), but there's a fee 2-week trial period.
I've got a set of the Japanese Blue Steel bench chisels. I'm quite satisfied.
-Zz
On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 14:16:01 -0500, Jim in Milwaukee

Marples Blue Chips were always a good deal. Here's a good deal on a 6pc (+ box) 1/4" to 1-1/4" set. http://tinyurl.com/4onvs6o
4pc for $36 + $8 s/h http://tinyurl.com/4veewzr
I see that Irwin has bought Marples. Does anyone have an update on recent quality, since the change?
-- "I probably became a libertarian through exposure to tough-minded professors" James Buchanan, Armen Alchian, Milton Friedman "who encouraged me to think with my brain instead of my heart. I learned that you have to evaluate the effects of public policy as opposed to intentions." -- Walter E. Williams
On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 13:57:39 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

Are you implying that Irwin is not of the finest quality? :)
basilisk

My 100 year old set of Irwin auger bits certainly are.
Can't speak for the Irwin Chisels, but it's unlikely that they've changed anything other than the logo embossed on the handle.
scott
On 3/20/2011 3:57 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Among various special-purpose chisels of higher quality than the ones I'm about to mention, I have a set of Marples and a set of these:
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/narexboxed6-piecebenchchiselset.aspx
I much prefer the Narex over the Marples, and at $10 a chisel, that's a *very* good deal for the quality you'll be getting. Even if you're looking to spend bigger bucks on top-quality stuff, you won't regret having these around.
The only downside is that the Narex chisels are ground to metric widths that approximate their inch equivalents, and this can be a pain when you really need an exact 1/4" width (for example). I reground the 10mm, 20mm, and 26mm chisels to be exactly 3/8", 3/4", and 1" respectively, but the other three chisels in the set are undersized and you can't do much about that...
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

They don't look bad. How do the wooden handles handle a mallet?

WHAT? Don't you have mortising chisels for that? If not, get 'em, boy!
One of these days I'm going to cut that extra piece of leaf spring and turn it into a nice slick for myself. I'd accept one of these, tho. http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/japaneseiyoroi60mmslick.aspx
-- "I probably became a libertarian through exposure to tough-minded professors" James Buchanan, Armen Alchian, Milton Friedman "who encouraged me to think with my brain instead of my heart. I learned that you have to evaluate the effects of public policy as opposed to intentions." -- Walter E. Williams
On 3/20/2011 9:17 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

They've held up fine for me. No signs of splitting.

You've probably already seen my other post; I have a set of Narex mortise chisels as well. No power mortising machine for me; cutting mortises by hand is way too much fun!
On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 21:27:21 -0500, Steve Turner

I have a januwine Steve Knight mallet, but I switched to a Shop Fox urethane mallet and absolutely adore it. Try one if you don't already own one. http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mallets-24-oz-/H0991 http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p0003&cat=1,41504,43688
For tight spaces, I use the little brass LV mallet. PRICY now. http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p0263&cat=1,41504,43688

I'm a Normander here. I love knowing how to do them but prefer the machine. Hand-cutting mortises is too much like _work_.
-- "I probably became a libertarian through exposure to tough-minded professors" James Buchanan, Armen Alchian, Milton Friedman "who encouraged me to think with my brain instead of my heart. I learned that you have to evaluate the effects of public policy as opposed to intentions." -- Walter E. Williams
Steve Turner wrote the following:

Just don't use a hammer on them. DAMHIK.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Everyone should have one of those urethane mallets. Wunnerful!
-- "I probably became a libertarian through exposure to tough-minded professors" James Buchanan, Armen Alchian, Milton Friedman "who encouraged me to think with my brain instead of my heart. I learned that you have to evaluate the effects of public policy as opposed to intentions." -- Walter E. Williams

I've got one of those round wooden mallets that sculptors use. Works great with chisels.
On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 12:09:39 -0700 (PDT), Marty

I've tried the rectangular and round wooden mallets and they both pale in comparison to the urethane. The rubber makes less noise and is much easier on the wrists of both hands. Try one at a store and see, Marty. It's the Festool of mallets, without the hefty price! You are today where your thoughts have brought you; you will be tomorrow where your thoughts take you. -- James Lane Allen

Delayed response, but I just saw this - and I totally agree. I bought a Wood Is Good mallet a while back, and it is, indeed, the Festool of mallets. Something about the give and rebound of the urethane seems let you use less force for the same cut. Great tool. JP
On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 20:30:40 -0500, Steve Turner

I bought some HF chisels ($6 for the set) for handyman use. The Marples (wooden handled gouges and Blue Chip chisels) stay in my shop.
Good review for the Narex, complete with metallurgy info. Do watch it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF4CzzQaZDo

-- "I probably became a libertarian through exposure to tough-minded professors" James Buchanan, Armen Alchian, Milton Friedman "who encouraged me to think with my brain instead of my heart. I learned that you have to evaluate the effects of public policy as opposed to intentions." -- Walter E. Williams

Lee Valley has the Narex mortise chisels in fractional inch widths. http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?pf737&cat=1 Art

Good price, too, Art. Add a $5 item and shipping is free.
-- "I probably became a libertarian through exposure to tough-minded professors" James Buchanan, Armen Alchian, Milton Friedman "who encouraged me to think with my brain instead of my heart. I learned that you have to evaluate the effects of public policy as opposed to intentions." -- Walter E. Williams
On 3/20/2011 10:03 PM, Artemus wrote:

I have those as well, and they are also a very good quality product for a very good price. They don't take the place of regular general purpose chisels, but I do appreciate that they're in fractions of an inch instead of millimeters.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 21:20:35 -0500, Steve Turner wrote:

So you've measured them and they are actually the size they are marked? I've gotten burned on other chisels that were marked in inches but actually weren't.
And then there's the wood taps that are marked 1" but are actually 25mm.

On 03/21/2011 11:28 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Yes, I've measured them with my dial calipers and they were spot on.