belt sander speed?

I've got an old belt table sander. I rebuilt the top and just got a new belt it is 6" * 25" but found the motor is bad. The old one has no labels or markings to know what speed or brand it is. This sander was from a cabinet shop that was active in the 30's up until mid 70's.
I've got a couple newer ones but ? is what speed should th belt sander be run at. I can change the pulleys if needed but currently the motor I had in mind is a 1/3hp 1724 rpm. -DDG
DDG wrote:

Typical variable belt speeds will be between roughly 6/700 up to about 1500 fpm...
About 1000 fpm is where I think most single-speed units run...

Save for finding out the specs, you might very well be able to crack the motor open and count the number of poles in the motor. This will definatley tell you the speed.
--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a

Good idea I'll try that. Was going to put one of the other motors on today but local shop was out of belt material so I've got to order some link belt. I started a project that I could use it on for sure.