Belt Sander Belt Tape

Page 2 of 3

on my wide-belt sander. Old belts just blow apart. I got a bunch of new sanding belts with my Time Savers that were made in "West Germany"... date that! Needless to say, they all blew apart. Cut up, I still use pieces for hand sanding.
I faintly recall a special process for sticking these together, but my old mind is really weak. I tried to find it tonight but only found one useful link:
http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Making_Sanding_Belts.html
I don't use a belt sander much anymore, but I use new belts from the wholesaler when I do.
best wishes, woodstuff
woodstuff wrote:

My 6x48" sanding belts are old, really, really old, like 20 years or more. They have held up well but when they fail, it of course is along the glue line. If they just blow apart due to glue failure, the fix is simple.

I did no research, but had some super glue gel laying around. I spread the glue on the seam, put a paper towel under the belt to stop gluing the belt to itself, and pressed the seam together with a strip of wood. This glue dries in 10 seconds so clamps are not even needed. The seam is a 1/4" lap joint on these belts. I think they are originally glued with a similar glue. I initially was afraid the glue would be too brittle, but so far, so good.
--
Jack
Take risks: If you win, you'll be happy; if you lose, you'll be wise.

JS:
Interesting. I have a friend that formulates cyanoacrylate glues and will ask him which concoction he suggests.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey

I appreciate the link and copied it.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey

Slice them up, use them by hand or on palm sanders.
Are those belts not glued together by a long angular joint that encompasses the whole belt circumference?
This would make the belt pretty hard to tape together. Some sort of adhesive would be in order.
It could be very hard to get the belts to track properly after repair.
I picked up a large box of belts. They are new old stock. The belt abrasive and fabric are fine. When you run a belt it snaps apart at the taped joint after a few pressured revolutions.
The clear tape simply lets loose. We tried using standard plastic packing tape which is pretty strong stuff but that experiment did not test out. Just for the sake of having it handy, Gorilla duct tape went on and failed next.
Does anyone have a suggested tape or other fix so these belts are usable?
Regards,
Edward Hennessey
Josepi wrote:

My belts have a long angular joint across the width of the belt.

The joint is a half lap joint. As long as the break is clean, it is simple to line it up perfectly, it's really automatic since it's a half lap joint. Tape, hot melt glue would not work. Super glue gel works great, and is simple since the glue dries in seconds, and is thin enough that the seam is not raised, and is just as flat as it was at the factory.
I just did this two weeks ago, and after several uses it's holding up fine. Can't say it will hold up forever or not, but I can say, for certain, it will hold up for two weeks and about an hour of sanding...
Saved me an emergency trip to Granger and it took almost zero effort to fix.

Tracking was not an issue, since the joints line up perfectly with little fuss. A bump at the seam is no problem since super glue is thin, even the gel type. Hot melt and tape I would think would fail to work at all.
--
Jack
Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.
Josepi wrote:

[...]

Josepi wrote:

You would think so, but so far, so good. I did the repair over 2 weeks ago and I've been sanding with it ever since. Yesterday I sanded a box I made with box joints. I always make them a little proud and sand the shit out of them. This is one of the harder tasks for my sander and if the joint is going to break, this will do it. Held up perfectly.

My belts are all 20 years old. They are working fine and are just now beginning to break prematurely, thus, the reason I tried the super glue. I can't say they will hold up forever since forever hasn't arrived, but I can tell you for sure the super glue has far exceeded my expectations and it has held up for over 2 weeks.

--
Jack
Got Change: 50 States ====> 57 States, not counting Alaska and Hawaii!

A citation earlier in the thread led to a company selling tape dedicated to the purpose; thickness is evidently a big issue as their offerings topped out at 6.5 microns. Regards,
Edward Hennessey
Is there enough room to hot glue?
Edward Hennessey wrote:

MK:
Not really. There's also the "bump" issue with the thickness of the glue and the idea that if it gets hot while circling around the platten it may whip apart again.
Thanks,
Edward Hennessey

Edward Hennessey wrote:

Super glue works perfectly. I just fixed two belts 6x48" of my own, one broke again, but it had a defect that made it break to begin with. The other one has been working for about 2 weeks now. I initially glued the sucker for quick use until I could get some new belts, damn thing still working great. Don't skimp on the glue. Pretty sure I used super glue gel.
--
Jack
At the risk of repeating advice given by others... Due to my lack of reading ALL the posts... How about fiberglass reinforced tape?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
Looks like he solved his own probelm with some superglue.
At the risk of repeating advice given by others... Due to my lack of reading ALL the posts... How about fiberglass reinforced tape?
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

Yep. I read that (didn't know it was him...) and figured it would last a few days but that the glue was too brittle to last longer.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
Joe AutoDrill wrote:

It was Jack Stein who said he had had success that way, not OP.
I'll have to try it; didn't think there would be much chance w/ it, either so haven't done so. The info I got from Klingspor engineering is what they use is a thermo- or UV-curable adhesive. I've not found the communications, unfortunately; don't recall what I must've done w/ them but not in any of the logical places (or at seem what to be logical now; who knows what was thinking of then.. :( )
ooops My bad. Not reading headers enough.
Yes, I figure you glue one you need and use it, then it falls apart when the glue dries out in a few days or weeks.

dpb wrote:

The glue I used was DURO QUICK GEL. I normally use it for gluing leather cue tips to my pool cue. It's made my Locktite I believe and is sold at Kmart, or used to be. The stuff dries in 10 seconds under pressure, so clamping is not even needed. I pressed it firmly with a hunk of wood across the joint and a paper towel under the joint. No glue seeped out the top, but some did get on the paper towel, so I was glad I took that precaution. I made sure I covered the entire joint generously as some glue soaks into the cloth.
About my only concern now is will the glue get too brittle? It's been over two weeks, and the glue dries in 10 seconds, so I'm feeling pretty confident.
There may well be a better glue for this, but while all my instincts said it wouldn't work, it has worked well.
--
Jack
Assault is a behavior, not a device.

JS:
Thanks for naming the cyanoacrylate. If it holds barnacles to hulls, that says something. A nod to you for prospecting among unlikely alternatives before giving up the ship and saying "trash".
Regards,
Edward Hennessey