Beginning woodwork

Page 3 of 3

I am planning to take it a step further by having a bottle saline solution and plastic bag at the ready. I will also instruct SWMBO what they are for. (Just in case.)

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:22:29 +0000, Andy Dingley

============================== You are of course correct... If the reply had come in the middle of the thread instead of being the 1st reply to a serious question asked by a newbie I may have been able to take it in a different light...
Bob Griffiths
On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 11:59:38 -0500, the inscrutable Bob G.

It's a good thing YOU'RE taking it this way vs. the OP, Bob. Quick Question:
Got Perspective?
- Yea, though I walk through the valley of Minwax, I shall stain no Cherry. http://diversify.com
Andy Dingley wrote:

I thought it was humor as well, with just a tip of the hat to Roy.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

Roy Underhill is the lead neander in a local amusement park in Wmsburg, VA. %-) Known for his pink polish.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

Good it helps to know where you're focus will be.

An excellent place to start. Here across the pond carpentry refers more to on-site construction of things like houses. I'll assume that that is a cultural language subtlty.

Periodicals. I'm not sure what's available over there. I used to get Better Homes and Gardens: Wood. Like several other magazines it has a mix of projects, product reviews, and articles on techniques. The ads can be fun to look at too.
I think a mix like this is appropriate for someone who is in the "I don't know what I don't know" stage.
For a book, I would suggest "Understanding Wood Finishes" by Bob Flexnor. (Not specifially "woodworking" but necessary)
-Steve
Kevin,
I was a computer programmer until a few years ago I decided that staring at a screen all day wasn't for me. I was lucky enough to swap some machines for a bit of coding for a local machinery supplier so I had a head start with machinery and that made a big difference. If you're out to make money at joinery then you'll need the machines sooner or later, preferably sooner.
Be prepared to feel a fool and make lots and lots and lots of mistakes. But don't give up. It's not rocket science...I still make mistakes (as do all woodworkers) but it's knowing how to recover from mistakes which makes all the difference.
One rule I have always stuck to is to be cautious when dealing with machines and sharp tools.
Books...I'd recommend a trip to the Library and start getting up to speed on manual techniques like Mortice and Tenon etc etc. Once you know the manual method of making a joint you'll understand the machines you may aquire later all the better. Start to read about the machines too. It's a long learning process and reading ahead is likely to have it's rewards.
Don't buy a single tool/machine until you have a definite need for it. Money wasted on useless tools is money that could have gone towards a better quality tool that you'll eventually use lots...(an example of my own, early on I bought a stanley jack plane, gets used occasionally but for the most part it sits on the shelf slowly corroding....the stanley 4 1/2 gets used daily though)
Cheers
Nicholas
--
Nicholas Buttle - Quality Joinery and Cabinet Making
http://www.nbjoinery.net

books,
fun
don't
Flexnor.
Thanks for your advice Stephen.
Maybe carpentry means the same here too. I am that much of a novice! Not looking at to do on-site contruction, but simple elegant items like furniture and toys.
I didn't think about getting a periodical. Will pop out this afternoon and get one I think!
Thanks again.

Better
Whilst you're on your learning curve Kevin...
Pass my details on to your cousin....
Cheers
Nicholas
--
Nicholas Buttle - Quality Joinery and Cabinet Making
http://www.nbjoinery.net
Will do.

head
fun
don't
Flexnor.
On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 02:25:41 +0000, Andy Dingley
<snip of good "advise", which I second, except for the obscure references to UK rags which I know nothing about and Blizzard which are almost unknown in the Yukon>

Just to help you along here are the URLs to the sites Andy recommends:
Jeff Gorman http://www.amgron.clara.net /
http://www.patwarner.com /
Patrick Leach http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html
Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html

David Blizzard. Did some TV series in the '80s, a decade that wasn't noted for prime woodworking. There are a number of tie-in books which sold well at the time, are now out of print, but show up regularly as S/H.
It's not bad stuff, and if you see a toy in there that you particularly like, it wouldn't be a bad thing to make. The techniques though are pretty dull - straight-line cuts through plywood, screwed together softwood. You might make the kids something they love, but you won't learn much woodworking from it.