Beginning woodwork

Hi,

I am a complete novice to woodwork and wondered if there were any books, videos, dvds or websites you could recommend.

I am interested in furniture making and toys.

I have a week long carpentry course starting soon and would like a head start.

Any recommendations most welcome.

Thanks

Reply to
Kevin O`Brien

buy some bandaids.

Reply to
longshot

got the hospital on speed dial thanks

Reply to
Kevin O`Brien

Lucky you! Bet there are a lot of people here who would say they wished they had started out in a formal class rather than picking up information and skills by pits and pieces. Until your classes start you might check out the contents of your local library. You'll get to look at lots of things without cost and be able to consider buying the books your course may recommend. Somewhere around here there is a list of books most of the group would recommend - it usually pops up every few days.

Josie

Reply to
firstjois

Seriously, probably watching the guys on TV that make it look so simple because they can build a curio cabinet in a half hour show is a good place to start.

Half the battle is having the right tools. I suggest starting with something simple like a book case or night stand. Use Pine since it is soft & somewhat forgiving ( easy to sand anyway) . Birch plywood matches it pretty well if you want to use it for the carcass. That's where I started.

Reply to
longshot

Thanks for the advice Josie.

If you or any> >> Hi,

Reply to
Kevin O`Brien

Thanks for the advice.

Although, being in the UK and only having the basic 5 channels (don't have cable or satalite), there aren't any suitable TV programmes on.

Reply to
Kevin O`Brien

Reply to
Tom Cavanagh

They are yes!

Reply to
Kevin O`Brien

Try this list:

firstjois

Good it helps to know where you're focus will be.

An excellent place to start. Here across the pond carpentry refers more to on-site construction of things like houses. I'll assume that that is a cultural language subtlty.

Periodicals. I'm not sure what's available over there. I used to get Better Homes and Gardens: Wood. Like several other magazines it has a mix of projects, product reviews, and articles on techniques. The ads can be fun to look at too.

I think a mix like this is appropriate for someone who is in the "I don't know what I don't know" stage.

For a book, I would suggest "Understanding Wood Finishes" by Bob Flexnor. (Not specifially "woodworking" but necessary)

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

Thanks very much Josie

Reply to
Kevin O`Brien

Just do not understand the comments about buying bandaids and setting the speed dial for the Hostital on your telephone....Seems to me the posters who made those suggestions are a little immature or whatever you waish to call them...helpful they are not...

Anyway I am glad you at least express an interest in woodworking...

I will admit that I never took a single class (excluding wood shop in Jr. High School) nor read any books on woodworking before I got interested in woodworking...I just had a need as a new homeowner to "fix" a few things around the house...and discovered that I could "do my thing" and have a a relaxating evening at the same time...

Over the years I most have picked up a book or two but honestly I can not remember doing it...I just learned the hard way...make a mistake correct it..move on and make another mistake..

BUT if I were smart I would have at least spent some time in the library just looking at how things are constructed... A good book on Joints ..their construction strenghts and weakness would have saved me a lot of frustration...

Lots of luck... Top posted to make the Bandaid POSTER scroll down aand down before he discovered I deleted his post....

Bob Griffiths ======================

Reply to
Bob G.

Bob G. wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I only saw the replies. The smartass had earned killfile status for previous commentary.

To the OP: Reasonable care and caution is merited, however, millions of trees have given their all, with relatively few trips to the hospital. And given that many of us are trending towards 'old fart' status, that says a lot about the relative safety of the craft, particularly for hobbyists.

Work safely. Have fun. Make something. Smile frequently.

Patriarch

ps: Tage Frid teaches Woodworking, volumes 1&2 (combined printing), is an excellent investment of your time. Even if your library doesn't stock it.

Reply to
Patriarch

It's called humor jack ass

Reply to
longshot

Thanks very much for the advice Bob.

I'll head over to the library but as you said, nothing is going to teach me more than actually doing it.

Looking forward to my course. It's only a week long, but should give me the basics to go on and learn more.

Reply to
Kevin O`Brien

Like Bob, I got started in woodworking by remodeling my house, on the last room now. I would advise you get started by building things for the shop: wall cabinets, router table, shelves. Practice different methods of joinery on these pieces because you will make mistakes, lots of them. Much better to make them on things for the shop made with "cheap" wood and be proficient before graduating to more expensive things. Shop cabinets are also a great way to practice different finishes and find the ones you like (and dislike).

I started in my house by remodeling a bedroom into my "play room" with a built in desk and floor to ceiling bookcases. Looks OK to the uninitiated but I would be embarassed to show them to this group. I'm ready to rip all the work out and start over, wish I knew what I was doing before I started.

I took some classes, learned a lot by reading this group, got some help when I needed it. I still consider myself a beginner, but a lot more advanced than when I started. I think woodworking is a lot like golf or playing bridge, the more you learn, the more you know what you still have to learn.

Good luck and keep a thick skin when posting.

Reply to
oldhippiedave

Not just wrong: totally wrong

1) It is simply common sense to keep a well-stocked first aid kit in the shop. Accidents happen. "Bandaids" was a funny quip, but it addressed a serious situation. There are more "tools" in a well set up shop than just the woodworking tools that a newbie might consider. 2) There is no substitute for following best practices with power machinery. That said, accidents do happen. Power tools will do enough damage very quickly that the first aid kit may be inadequate. A phone in the shop can be, literally, a life-saver.

3) We hobbyists are often working alone. There's no-one else who can call for help.

The three-stitch cut I got on my hand last Saturday (my hatchet merely

-touched- me, not even swinging) is healing nicely. Both SWMBO and swmo were present and helped bandage the hand for the trip to the clinic.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

Kevin,

I was a computer programmer until a few years ago I decided that staring at a screen all day wasn't for me. I was lucky enough to swap some machines for a bit of coding for a local machinery supplier so I had a head start with machinery and that made a big difference. If you're out to make money at joinery then you'll need the machines sooner or later, preferably sooner.

Be prepared to feel a fool and make lots and lots and lots of mistakes. But don't give up. It's not rocket science...I still make mistakes (as do all woodworkers) but it's knowing how to recover from mistakes which makes all the difference.

One rule I have always stuck to is to be cautious when dealing with machines and sharp tools.

Books...I'd recommend a trip to the Library and start getting up to speed on manual techniques like Mortice and Tenon etc etc. Once you know the manual method of making a joint you'll understand the machines you may aquire later all the better. Start to read about the machines too. It's a long learning process and reading ahead is likely to have it's rewards.

Don't buy a single tool/machine until you have a definite need for it. Money wasted on useless tools is money that could have gone towards a better quality tool that you'll eventually use lots...(an example of my own, early on I bought a stanley jack plane, gets used occasionally but for the most part it sits on the shelf slowly corroding....the stanley 4 1/2 gets used daily though)

Cheers

Nicholas

Reply to
Nicholas

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:43:56 +0000 (UTC), the inscrutable "Kevin O`Brien" spake:

Go see Grogs. He has a list.

Larry Jaques