Beginning woodwork

Page 1 of 3

Hi,
I am a complete novice to woodwork and wondered if there were any books, videos, dvds or websites you could recommend.
I am interested in furniture making and toys.
I have a week long carpentry course starting soon and would like a head start.
Any recommendations most welcome.
Thanks

buy some bandaids. <g>

got the hospital on speed dial thanks
Seriously, probably watching the guys on TV that make it look so simple because they can build a curio cabinet in a half hour show is a good place to start.
Half the battle is having the right tools. I suggest starting with something simple like a book case or night stand. Use Pine since it is soft & somewhat forgiving ( easy to sand anyway) . Birch plywood matches it pretty well if you want to use it for the carcass. That's where I started.
--
Be cool,
Longshot

something
somewhat
Thanks for the advice.
Although, being in the UK and only having the basic 5 channels (don't have cable or satalite), there aren't any suitable TV programmes on.
I'll say it again, LIBRARY. In the states it's free. I would think it the same in the UK. Tom

They are yes!

have
Try this list:
http://www.inthewoodshop.org/general/treatise.shtml
Josie

Thanks very much Josie
Kevin O`Brien wrote:

Lucky you! Bet there are a lot of people here who would say they wished they had started out in a formal class rather than picking up information and skills by pits and pieces. Until your classes start you might check out the contents of your local library. You'll get to look at lots of things without cost and be able to consider buying the books your course may recommend. Somewhere around here there is a list of books most of the group would recommend - it usually pops up every few days.
Josie
Thanks for the advice Josie.
If you or anyone can recommend a suitable book that I can find on Amazon maybe, that would be great.

out
On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:43:56 +0000 (UTC), the inscrutable "Kevin

Go see Grogs. He has a list.
http://woodworking.homeip.net/wood/reference/books.htm
--
EAT SOYLENT McD!
----------------------

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:54:39 +0000 (UTC), the inscrutable "Kevin

Brian, do yourself and us a favor: Don't top-post and DO snip posts.
Oh, and do post a link to your project for our amusement. ;)
--
The clear and present danger of top-posting explored at:
Just do not understand the comments about buying bandaids and setting the speed dial for the Hostital on your telephone....Seems to me the posters who made those suggestions are a little immature or whatever you waish to call them...helpful they are not...

I only saw the replies. The smartass had earned killfile status for previous commentary.
To the OP: Reasonable care and caution is merited, however, millions of trees have given their all, with relatively few trips to the hospital. And given that many of us are trending towards 'old fart' status, that says a lot about the relative safety of the craft, particularly for hobbyists.
Work safely. Have fun. Make something. Smile frequently.
Patriarch
ps: Tage Frid teaches Woodworking, volumes 1&2 (combined printing), is an excellent investment of your time. Even if your library doesn't stock it.

And
Thanks very much for the advice
Scotch and cigars. Jim

heh heh heh... bourbon and cigarettes.