Beginners Syndrome

Page 9 of 9
On 11/30/2015 8:50 AM, Jack wrote:

Exactly, the 2mm leads are thicker until they get down to the point. With .5 and .7mm leads the lead breaks more easily.
On 11/29/2015 2:43 PM, Jack wrote:

At a drafting supply store 2mm mechanical pencils are pretty common, basically a regular sized wood pencil led.
With the right feel they are pretty hard to beat when using one all day long and using up a lead or two each week.
In the shop I only make slight 1/4" marks with an occasional line for a jigsaw or bandsaw cut so free wooden ones are what I use. I have 5~6 2mm mechanical pencils somewhere in my drafting equipment box.
-----Original Message----- From: Jack Sent: Sunday, November 29, 2015 3:43 PM Newsgroups: rec.woodworking Subject: Re: Beginners Syndrome

Yes, the 2mm leads are useful...
I still use my drafting board with parallel straight edge, triangles, etc., and have no problem finding 2 mm leads... a local store stockes them. Here are a few sources I found via Google:
http://www.cutting-mats.net/alvin-2mm-pencil-lead.html (Amazon.com product link shortened) http://www.utrechtart.com/Prismacolor-Premier-Turquoise-Mechanical-Pencil-Lead-Refills--2-0-mm--pack-of-12-MP-20601-001-i1010974.utrecht
John

I have a nice leather apron, though I do not make marks with pencil, cutting down on carbon foot print ya know.
Mark

I try to avoid stepping on them.
Mine is also leather. Don't like to use a Plasma Torch in my lap without one. These fancy ones melt and burn.
Martin
On 11/25/2015 2:16 PM, Markem wrote:

Martin Eastburn wrote:

I got one I thought was pretty decent for $9.99 with a coupon from Harbor Freight. I know some are thinking it must be a piece of crap, but it's not--LOL!
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=welding+apron

On Thursday, November 26, 2015 at 6:45:14 AM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrot e:

Craigslist find: 4-5 yrs ago, I bought out most of a retiring upholsterer' s supplies, a sewing machine and 25 full size hides for $1200. That amoun ts to the hides costing about $20 a piece. Haven't used all of them, yet, but they are too nice to use as aprons.
Sonny
On 11/25/2015 3:16 PM, Markem wrote:

I always wanted a leather apron, but never pulled the trigger. I have 4 aprons now, and I really like this Rockler one. It has the over the shoulder straps that are mandatory for a shop apron, and just the right amount and size of pockets for a cabinet shop.
--
Jack
On Thursday, November 19, 2015 at 8:20:27 PM UTC-8, Bill wrote:

hah, just wait until you start getting welding or metal machining, that's a black hole you never come out of.
been, there, hell, still there now.
Al
On Thursday, November 19, 2015 at 10:20:27 PM UTC-6, Bill wrote:

I typically figure things in my head and use drawings/measurements, in tand om. I generally like curvy constructions, so it's hard to figure, exactly , a curve or matching curves, in my head. I measure for the basics, then when it comes to forming the mirror image curves, I back off, "pass my eye" , then proceed to form the matching curves for each side, in essence, wingi ng it and making adjustments, as I go.
Sometimes, my "beginners syndrome" issue is "beginning the project", but mo re often I suffer from "finishers syndrome".
Sonny