begining workshop

Page 1 of 3

I was wondering if anyone can give me advice for what I need for a begining wood working shop. My Husband had desided that for my birthday we should spend about $1000 to start a shop. I am looking for advice on what to buy first, obvously $1000 is not going to come close to buying everything, so I will probably start out with lower end stuff...lol...
Any advice gladly accepted :)
Deborah
What do you have now?
What do you want to make?
Do you own the home or just renting?
How much room do you have?
Can you borrow for a time tools from relatives as you get started?
Alan

What do you plan to make? A bandsaw and lathe is nice if you are into turning. Tablesaw is good if you will be working with sheet goods and making bookcases and furniture. Are you more into power tools or hand tools?
Very little is needed if you are just going to do fret work on a scroll saw.
Tablesaws run from $200 to $2000. The more you pay, the better the saw, the fence, etc. How serious and how experienced are you? Not sure if woodworking was going to be a long term hobby, I started with the $200 saw, but a year later bought a much better one for $800. My total investment is about $7500 now.
If nothing else, buy a couple of clamps. You can never have too many clamps.
Of course it depends on what you want to make and the other questions listed above. Think a lot about that first. Then buy a few books and magazines about general woodworking and maybe the type of furniture or whatever you want to make, and spend some time with those (I liked "The Complete Book of Woodworking", $15 used on Amazon). There's your first $50. Before you start buying a bunch of tools, I'd reconsider your plan to start with low-end stuff - I think many people in this newsgroup would agree it would be wiser (and usually cheaper in the long run) to start with the best tools you can afford - you'll probably be happier with them and they'll definitely last longer. Of course everyone has a budget and you'll hear different things from different people on what to scrimp on if you must, but here are my opinions on what to do with your next $950 (depending on what you want to make...)
Dust masks, safety glasses, gloves, hearing protection ($50) Good jigsaw (Bosch 1590 and progressor wood blades, $150 from coastaltool.com) Drill if you don't have one, plus brad-point bits (Start with a cheap corded drill and good bits, $60) A bunch of clamps (spring, bar, C, etc. $100+) A good combination square (Starret etc $70) Router (PC, Bosch, or Dewalt, $150, plus a router bit set, MLCS 16pc set to start, $40, then get better bits in whatever styles you use most) Steve Knight plane (Smoother or jack, $165) Screws, glue, sandpaper, finish, wood, etc ($150+++) Make some stuff and see what you need next.
Next priorities for me might be: Bandsaw (14", Delta, Grizzly, etc., $350+, plus bandsaw blade selection from suffolkmachinery.com, $50), japanese pull-saw, chisels, forstner bits, more clamps, shopvac for dust collection, cordless drill, etc etc etc. Lee Valley, Rockler, and Woodcraft seem to be popular general woodworking supply companies on this newsgroup, and I've had good experiences ordering from all of them. Shop around also on Amazon, ebay, local classifieds, etc - prices can vary a lot, and some used tools (both power and hand) are better than new ones when properly tuned up. I'd think carefully and get some training and good safety equipment before getting a tablesaw - they can turn a piece of wood into a missle or a finger into a stump very quickly. Alternatively, many people say it's very rewarding to skip the power tools altogether and start with good-quality handsaws, chisels, hand planes, scrapers, files, rasps, and the like, and enjoy woodworking and still listen to the birds. A lot of good furniture was made this way.
Well, sorry for the long-winded and rambling reply. Remember: as a wise professor of mine once said, a piece of advice is like a butt - everyone's got one, and most of them stink. Good luck and have fun, Andy
Deborah Kelly wrote:

Probably the most function in a shop is cutting.
To cut, you need saws.
My choices were as follows:
Delta contractor's saw complete with a 30" UniFence and a mobile base.
About $800-$900.
A Bosch Saber saw.
About $150.
A Bosch 6" ROS.
I just replaced one for $133 delivered.
A Porter-Cable or equal router kit.
About $200.
An 18 VDC drill package kit.
About $200-$300.
Add about $300 for good saw blades for the Delta and the Bosch.
Add about $200 for router bits.
The above puts you in a good to go position with power tools, but it's a $2K, not a $1K list.
After that it's always clamp time.
After clamps, start thinking about a drill press.
Lew
Lew Hodgett said:

My personal observations are interspersed among Lew's good recommendations. What you need depends largely on what you intend to build. You could buy a piece at a time as needed, but it's a real time waster when you need something you don't have and have to drive around or wait for the mailman to get your hands on it.

Acceptable choice. Maybe shop for a good used one. Make certain the table is flat and not twisted.
I have built a few nice things with only a good circular saw and a clamp on straight edge. Don't buy a cheap $150 benchtop saw - it'll only break your heart. If that is all you can afford, stick to the circular saw and clamp.

Another fine piece.

Or Dewalt or PC...

The venerable 690 series is a good choice. I have the wiz-bang 895PK model, and I kinda wish I'd gotten a Bosch or PC690 instead. :-\
Make sure whatever you get will use 1/2" bits. Cheap routers often will not, and 1/4" bits will flex and chatter under stress and generally wear out quickly.

A big maybe on this one. A corded variable speed drill is cheap, and works fine. No batteries to fail or discharge as you're finishing up a project.
A cordless screwdriver with clutch is pretty useful, however. I inherited a Dewalt, but it was made in China.

As you need them. $150 dollars will get you a few really good blades. A good Dado is pretty useful. $100-$250 for that alone. Stay away from wobble dados.

Maybe a bit high for a starter set. A small assortment of straight and roundovers, plus an ogee or two will cover a lot of ground. Get specialty bits as you need them. Buy good quality bits, Whiteside and Amana - even some of the Bosch. They last much longer and splinter less wood. Please avoid crappy router bits sets from Vermont and such.

You have to have clamps right off the bat. These should be WAY towards the top of the list. You can NEVER have too many. All glueups require clamps, sometimes as many as 8-10 - and even more, depending on the job. Pipe clamps are cheap, but unwieldy. Aluminum bar clamps are becoming an inexpensive favorite of mine. Bessy K clamps are great, but expensive. Don't forget about small 6-12" clamps while you're picking out those 50 inchers. A couple of band (strap) clamps are quite handy as well.

I would opt for a drill press even before a cordless drill, unless you are doing home repairs. Very useful item. You can even use it as a drum sander, although this stresses the quill bearings. A floor model is much more useful than a benchtop model in woodworking but both are useable. No better way to get good, square (to the face) holes.
You will need a sturdy workbench. Building your own is good practice.
You also will need good chisels ranging from 1/4" to 1" Good steel means less sharpening and better cutting. Figure on spending $20-$50 for these depending on brand. I primarily use a set of Marples Blue Chips I got for $20.
And you need a way to keep them sharp - 1/4" glass plate, sandpaper, and elbow grease works fine.
Don't forget drill bits for the drill. Brad point, HSS lipped drills are best for woodworking - but not metal. Lee Valley has an excellent set. Get a starter set in increments of 1/8" - $15-$40. A set of matching Split Collar Stops are very useful, also.
Countersink bits are useful as well as a chamfering bit.
Forstner bits are also quite handy. This is one area where you could try a cheaper set and fill in with better units as needed.
A small palm sized block plane. Useful more times than I can count. I use an old Stanley - although I am now boycotting the company for bad behavior and Chinese imports that replaced quality US made goods.
Card type Cabinet Scraper. Plus a file and burnishing rod for sharpening / creating a hook. Around $10.
A Japanese style pull cut saw - for those impossible with power equipment cuts and dovetails.
Diamond sharpening paddles in ~250 and ~600 grits. Handy for tweaking the edges of bits and blades of various types. A set of these will probably run less than $20.
Eventually you will want/need a jointer, planer, and a compound miter saw. Even though a CMS is often regarded as a home repair tool, I use mine way more than I thought I would. Try cutting a 45 degree angle on a 6 foot stick of wood on a tablesaw and you'll see what I mean.
Some prefer hand planes - we call them Neanderthals... ;-) I have a few of these as well.
A brad nailer is very handy, as is the air compressor needed to power it. I primarily use a Senco, but I also have a $20 Harbor Freight model that works OK and came with a rebuild kit.
Finally, a dust collector. You won't believe how much sawdust and shavings accumulates and drifts through the air while working wood. While you are at it, a shop air cleaner is a real consideration for your health and the quality of your finishes.
Sandpaper in incrementing grits, paint brushes, glue, glue spreaders, clean-up solvents, rags, stains and varnishes, tung oil, linseed oil, shellac, polyurethane, etc.
That's all I can think of right off hand, and this is from someone who fairly recently entered the realm of Real Woodworking.
But rest assured, no matter how many tools you own, you will always need one more. A good rule of thumb is:
New Project, New Tool.
Good Luck!
Greg G.

I did exactly this when I started (minus the mobile base) for exactly that much money. I didn't know about grizzly at the time. Now, I wish I had gone with either the grizzly cabinet saw for the same money, or a smaller griz contractor's saw for a lot less money. The detla saw has been great, but I think better values are out there.
brian
Deborah Kelly wrote:

talking a grand limit. Even neander tools cost an arm and a leg, if new. (Neander tools are those you can use during a power outage and w/o batteries, like chisels, planes, gouges...)
Dave
lol that is why I'm looking at lower end stuff...lol... I don't know if I can find anything used out here this is a small town...lol
Dedorah
On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 08:55:51 -0600, Deborah Kelly wrote:

I understand your situation, I was there 20 years ago. One of my big mistakes was to buy cheap tools. If you are serious, you will burn a lot of cash on junk that will have to be replaced. If we had an idea of what type of woodworking you would like to do we could give you better advice, but I'd still say don't buy junky tools. Used is ok, junk is not.
Note that you can do some pretty amazing stuff with just a few hundred dollars in hand tools and a little patience.
D. G. Adams
lol I did tell serval people what I was planning on doing yesterday but silly me just hit the reply button and not the reply to group button (hmmm wonder where they sell brains these days...lol)
first off I'm going to build my workbench, after that loads of bookcases for all the books we have (we are turning the upstairs into a library its a 20x30 ft room). after that I might try some funiture, and ofcourse toys (I made my daughter a really cute bird pull toy for er first birthday this year with the jigsaw and a hole saw bit on the drill, and I have to say when working with hardwood, it was out of wild cherry, having a wood blade expecially a sharp one is so much better then a metal blade...lmao, Wish I had at lest a planer for that because I was working with ruff cut wood took for ever to sand it :)
After reading all the posts I think I'm going to spend most my money on a halfway decant table saw, $600-800 range and a butt load of clamps and wood for the workbench. (I think Hubby desided to do my birthday presant this way is so in the future he can just buy something for the shop for me and not have to figure out what I like...lmao)
And after much inner debating I have locked my inner cheapskate up and buy atlest midrange EQ...lol
Deborah

Agree with getting decent table saw.
You might want to consider this:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)30876290/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-6995922-1880762?v=glance&s=hi&nP7846
Don't forget some small items like a tape measure, square.
l;ol I was just telling Hubby today on the phone that we needed a new tape measure since our old one had that accedent....lol...
and we just got a square when we had to replace some window glass last month....lol.... we have a little bit of hand tools so...
It is just so much to think about...lol
Deborah

(Amazon.com product link shortened)30876290/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-6995922-1880762?v=glance&s=hi&nP7846
Deborah Kelly wrote:

Don't know what your interests are, so it's a hard question to answer. But a decent table saw will eat up over half of that grand. With a good edge guide and a good (Bosch?) jigsaw you can do without a tablesaw for a while. A drill press, even a cheap tabletop model, is invaluable. A random orbit sander (again, I like Bosch) avoids a lot of sore muscles. A powered screwdriver does too.
Past that, I'd get mostly hand tools to start. A couple of planes, some decent chisels and rasps, some scrapers.
Shellac and a rag will put a good finish on most projects.
I'm sure I've forgotten a hundred things, but that's what comes to mind.
P.S. I wish I could get my wife to capitalize "Husband" :-).
Different opinion from here. Bought a benchtop Delta drill press and have to shim the table in every direction for ANY cut requiring 90! It's due for replacement like 9 years ago! Cheap is NOPT the primary criterion!
On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 22:11:04 -0800, Larry Blanchard

I think it's worth pointing out that a tablesaw in the first couple purchases isn't required at all.
Buy a good quality bandsaw, and a selection of blades from suffolk for say 500 total. You then don't need a jig saw, or a table saw for a while. Sure the table saw might do a better job, but for way more money, and they are only really good at one thing.
Just my two cents
Andrew
On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 13:26:22 -0800, Tattooed and Dusty wrote:

Now that I've filled the garage (i.e. shop) with tools I think I agree with Andrew. If I was starting over I'd have a band saw, circular saw, and router (with table). I'd then fill in with good (used?) hand tools. You should be able to find used tools if you keep looking.
When I started out as a teen I had a jigsaw, router, and drill. Along with some hand tools my grand dad gave me. I was able to build some serviceable furniture. Start slow and easy. Wait to buy those expensive tools until you understand (classes?) their use. And don't buy cheap.
D. G. Adams
He didn't say it was ideal, he said it was invaluable!
I use my drill press for both metal and wood, so quality was essential for me. But even a cheap drill press is more accurate than hand drilling most of the time.
nospambob wrote:

While all of the above suggestions are right on for power tools, they all add up to many thousand dollars. Consider starting with the school if available, and then going to hand tools to get started. I have some power tools in Montana, but only hand tools in Illinois, and it works. You can start with a good square, X-acto knife, block plane and one larger plane, 3-4 chisels, a good back saw, steel rule, a scraper, and some sandpaper. You will also need some sharpening stones and a guide to sharpen planes and chisels. Maybe a regular crosscut saw too. Oh... as many clamps as you can get.
With these, and the use of some books, you can plane boards square, make dovetail joints, glue boards together to make wider boards, and build boxes, bookcases, shelves, and a lot more.
Then, as your budget regains it's health, add one power tool at a time. You may already have an electric drill or a skill saw, and maybe just need some good bits and a carbide saw blade. A cheap belt sander from Home Depot will hide a lot of mistakes! In the mean time, you will have developed some skills in woodworking, and will start to get an idea of what power tool will let you progress to the next level.
I hope this helps a little!
regards,
Rich.....
Here's my experience, for what it's worth.
I've been doing "serious" ww for about 15 or so years, building furniture and such, along with numerous other small projects that required wood as the prime material. I slowly accumulated tools, sometimes not so slowly, but never had room for a table saw until we got our new house this summer. It's the big ticket item, both in cost and in space. It's great. I love it. I might even say, "I don't know how I ever got along without it", but I know how I got along. I managed by getting whoever I bought sheet stock from to cut it for me into bitesize pieces that I could bring home. A Bosch jigsaw is, in my humble opinion, the single most useful power tool you can buy for cutting. With a good setup and clamps and straight guides, you can do a good portion of what you can do on a table saw. A drill press is another really invaluable tool. And a RO sander. A router opens up a whole new world of ways to shape wood, but you CAN live without one. Beyond that, you need a minimal collection of good hand tools, such as a #4 plane, chisels, handsaws, maybe a dowelling jig, marking and measuring tools, good quality drill bits (make all the difference in the world). You can do a lot with a little, and work your way up as you go along.
--
Bob

Travel and Astronomy Photos