Before I leap, let me ask around! Buying the Grizzly G0478, any current owners out there?

Page 1 of 2

With everything it's a little over a Grand. I've looked at the Jet. General and Powermatic (along with Rigid & Delta) There wasn't a woodshop for a hundred miles that would recommend the later 2. I just can't find anything wrong with the Grizzly. I own other Grizzly products and they haven't failed me. One sales guy told me Grizzly had poor quality control, I challenged him on that and he waivered. He just wanted me to buy his Powermatic for $877.
So what's your opinion on this bad bear?
TIA! Jim H.
Tall Oak wrote:

I don't have it, but one disadvantage with Grizzly is that when you need a part 7 years down the road, they probably won't have it.
With Delta, Jet, Powematic, etc you won't have that problem.
In all fairness to the sales guy, if he doesn't sell Grizzly, how do you expect him to argue its merits? I've been in a lot of stores where I've seen other people coming in and "looking" at all the saws there and then challenging the sales guy to beat the Grizzly price. When the sales people explain the downside of Grizzly.. hard to get spare parts, nowhere local to service it (if you need it), etc., the guy usually just leaves the store saying "I don't care, I'm buying the Grizzly".. That sounds a lot like you. Not a slam on you, but if you want to buy the Griz, go ahead, don't wait around for validation from us. Just be aware that there is a trade off. I had a big move 6 years ago, and it sure was nice to call Jet and Delta to get replacement parts for the pieces that got lost/broken in the move. Also, the "name" brands will have a lot better resale value if you ever decide to get out of the hobby.
bf wrote:

Based on what? Got proof?

So how does calling Jet or Delta for replacement parts make Grizzly deficient in that department? If I call Ford for lost or broken parts, does that automatically put Yugo in the category of not having parts? Not saying that you're wrong, but I don't see any evidence that your right.
--
Frank Howell

-----------------
Frank Howell wrote:

Only ancedotal proof, talking to 2 people with older Grizzly stuff. Griz discontinued that model and no longer stocks replacement parts. I didn't ask how easy it is to get replacement parts for stuff that is still in production.

The point is that I can call Delta or Jet and get any part I need. Not always the case with Griz, although maybe my 2 friends are the exception. I'm not saying Griz is crap, I'm sure it's adequate for a lot of hobbyist, but you do get something for paying a little more for a name brand. I'm not a machinery expert, so I don't know if Griz does extra shortcuts in the manufacturing or not.

anybody having problems with parts. Grizzly makes a lot of commercial equipment as well. This is far heavier than any hobby stuff.
As for Delta. When black and Decker took them over, they declared that the old policy of stocking parts forever was going to stop. Those old Delta machines that run forever just won't make them enough money! Don't count on Delta for parts forever. That was the old Delta.
Lee Michaels wrote:

Thanks for that information. I didn't realize the policy change. That will affect my future buying decsions. And thanks for being cordial, unlike the OP.

years ago. These older machines have a reputation for running and running and running (not necessarily the newer stuff).
Neat part is I could buy a set of blades for about $14, until a couple of years ago when they discontinued. When last checked, the aftermarket set that replaces mine sells for $74. That put it pretty close to a keep or sell decision until I learned that Delta makes a set that will fit it. Maybe I had better stock up on the Delta blades.
RonB
That is also a consideration with the Hybrid. 1. It's new and I found it odd, that no trade publications have reviewed it yet. Everybody waits with baited breath for a new piece. I did find a good user review on Amazon. Of all the saws, I liked the General over all of them, and the Jet Super Saw was pretty neat, but if you weigh all the pro's and con's, Grizzly's price advantuage. Simply gives you more saw for your money!
BUT it is a table saw this in and of itself, should spell out never needing to fix. I take excellent care of anything I buy especially my guns and tools. If I can get 28 years out of most of my tools Circular/ Drills/Sabre and a 99 dollar table saw. I feel pretty confident that breakage and service aren't a real big issue, and if it does I can fix it one way or another.
M&A's only work for the Investment Bankers, never the customer or employee's.This "planned obsolescence,buy and dump" is in EVERYTHING, even home appliances have all dropped the warranty period. This is the fact that we have been downgraded from citizens to simply consumers. I owned an RCA 25" color tv for 23 years and gave it to my buddy for his basement, he got a few years and I think the moisture simply got to it! My First HDTV lasted 2 months past warranty. Duh Extended Warranty What's that? The object is simply to discover anyway they can think of to get or even take ones money!
just wait until tools get like software and computers. each quarter buy new tools!
Jim

It will be kind of interesting to see how the hybrids take off in sales. I am not sure who started the hybrid movement but the first one I noticed was Delta. I suspect Delta saw some of their sales going to Grizzly. Also, Sears came out with a so-called cabinet saw a couple of years ago; and the Dewalt heavy duty machines might have nipped at Delta sales (it in itself is a hybrid of sorts). All of these products sold well below the $1,500 to 1,700 price of the Unisaw at the time.
It is hard to see how Sears could justify the $1,100 price tag on their "professional 10" saw" because the ones I looked at in the store looked a lot like their lighter weight home shop saw with a better fence and a pretty skirt. The Griz 1023, on the other hand, was a pretty good attempt to re-engineer the Unisaw in a form that was available 10 years ago.
I think the hybrids can fill a good nitch for the user that wants to move up from lighter-weight equipment but not commit $2,000 in doing so. This also fits Grizzly's strategy. Cut out the retail chain, let the buyer pay shipping and offer good products with less distribution expense.
RonB
I'm doing a comparison now examining the General 50-220C ~$899. I think I'd grab the General Contractor over the Grizzlys Contractor, but still the Grizzly Hybrid is both a blessing and a concern, something about the drive mechanism that I have to look over a little more carefully, but still a better cost! I'd like to know who is doing the manufacturing for Grizzly overseas, I could atleast see who the manufacterer builds for or have someone go visit for me. China is most likely doing the grunt work in the least, the castings, I'll have to ask around I have relatives who own a couple of shops in HK & Mainland.
As for Craftsman, I just feel sorry for them. Honestly they could have easily dominated the US tool market with all their stores, but as it helped build the Sears/Craftsman label, the desire to expand both market place and product line. Something had to give and it was just the tools, appliances are next.. When I looked at Craftsman saws a few years back and just noted how sad it was.
The bottom line being when you accept less, your going to get less and that goes for tools, coffee and even freedom, it's not about the product, but what they can sell you and what you'll buy! Quality is always the first to go!

Three years ago or so my belt/disk sander broke after only 8 years of use. I called Griz and they sent replacement parts no problem. Turned out the sander had more problems then I had seen at first, new sander needed. Called Griz, no sanders in stock, went through all avaible sources and no sander in stock for a few weeks (some earthquake or something in Taiwan had broken supply chain for a few weeks, and I had hit the middle of it).Called Grizzly and asked if they had anything in stock at all, I had orders to get out and couldn't wait for 3 to 4 weeks for the sander. They found a returned unit shipped it to me with replacement parts as needed and took the replacement parts for the broken sander back with out any problem. They were the ones that suggested I send the parts I had ordered back to them for a refund. You will have problems with Grizzly machines, You will have problems with other brand machines. Grizzly has always given me as good or better service then the other brands. I would buy the 1023z over the 478 if it were me buying JMO.

I concur my experiences with Grizzly have been always professional! I was looking at the 1023, but that's just way to much saw for my needs. Essentually, I'm simply replacing a 99 buck table saw I've had since 78, and a circular saw, that have served my every need. All I'm doing is making a couple of cabinets, and think it's about time to upgrade. Money isn't a real issue, but I do have to be real about how much I'm going to use it versus my investement.
Thanks!

You appear to contradict the World in regards to getting parts from Delta since it was acquired by Black and Decker and every local machine/tool shop stopped carrying them. I'm amazed that you can see into the future and that Jet, Powermatic or any other manufacturer didn't just happen to fold or get bought out.
I can speak for Grizzly, simply because I have other pieces of equipment, and haven't had an issue with parts or service before. So you make a lot of unfounded fabricated BS statements. See I wasn't looking for your or anyones validation. You aren't a current owner and really had nothing of any value to add....Unlike yourself, I'm pretty resourceful and intelligent not to slam you, but I can figure things out on my own and make very informed purchases. Kinda why I didn't ask you, but CURRENT OWNERS! I guess you simply have to much time on your hands to actually be helpful, but don't waste mine thats just plain rude!

Tall Oak wrote:

Yes, you did ask for my opinion. But if you're going to accuse me of lying, I'm done with this thread. Enjoy your Griz.
What Part of "ANY CURRENT OWNERS" did you fail to understand?

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 03:52:51 GMT, "Tall Oak"

Jim - I've posted many times before as to my support for Grizzly. IMO, they offer the finest balance of quality and price. I run a 12inch, 5hp RT machine and I could not be happier with the performance. I'd say - Go Grizzly!
Thanks!

Jim: I am not familiar with the G0478 but I have owned a Grizzly 1023S cabinet saw for about five years and love it. I also own a few other grizzly sanders and other items. I started my search about six years ago pretty much predisposed to the Unisaw, based on experience with 20-30 year old machines. I decided on the 1023 base on value, quality and the high degree of support I received in their Springfield store, on the phone and during the order/shipment process. I received my saw 36 hours after I placed the internet order.
Many who own Grizzly products feel good about them. Many who don't will badmouth them - largely based on its off-shore origin. I have a fully integrated shop (Green, Grey, Beige and Baby-Poop Yellow). If you buy tools of any of these colors today you'll likely get off-shore content or total off-shore assembly. I have a 1-1/2 year old Powermatic 95A jointer that clearly came from the east.
RonB

Yeah some folks here just have to run their sucks, with no knowledge or experience and can't add crap to a conversation. American tools are crap in Europe and Asian tools are crap in America. I doubt if any manufacturer could claim 100% USA components, workmanship or assembly. Basically only the stupid people will bad mouth Grizzly, because they paid more for less on almost any other product.
I've talked to almost every shop around they all spoke well of the Jet Powermatic and General when asked about Grizzly they mostly didn't have any experience with them, but they wouldn't slam it because they had no experience and the ones who did have some experience simply said that they are a good quality piece, at a good price. The Tool Sellers all badmouthed Grizzly even though none owned or would admit owning one (unlike the first kid, I was an honest seller and when asked a question gave an honest answer, even if it hurt my sales) They all told me pretty much the same exact song Poor Quality Control, Poor Service and they're all the way in PA...(yeah like I'll just pick up the damn saw and take it to him for repair) I'll ship to him as easily as PA! I would never have bought Grizzly, didn't even know who they are. When I finally go a catalog from a friend on a lark I bought a 19 dollar nail gun, worked great, so in baby steps I bought various products over time all completely satisfied. Then I got a bandsaw and a sliding router table etc etc.I couldn't complain one bit and basically am laughing all the way to the bank.
Thanks, Jim

I forgot to mention - If you call Grizzly's service they will provide you with names and phone# of up to two people in your general area that have purchased the tool you are considering. I used this service and the conversations helped me decide. Also gives you a chance to touch the tool before buying.
Take a look at the catalogue list of companies Griz does business with. I used to work for Raytheon and their wood modeling and tool shops are full of Grizzly tools.
RonB