Before I leap, let me ask around! Buying the Grizzly G0478, any current owners out there?

With everything it's a little over a Grand. I've looked at the Jet. General and Powermatic (along with Rigid & Delta) There wasn't a woodshop for a hundred miles that would recommend the later 2. I just can't find anything wrong with the Grizzly. I own other Grizzly products and they haven't failed me. One sales guy told me Grizzly had poor quality control, I challenged him on that and he waivered. He just wanted me to buy his Powermatic for $877.

So what's your opinion on this bad bear?

TIA! Jim H.

Reply to
Tall Oak

I don't have it, but one disadvantage with Grizzly is that when you need a part 7 years down the road, they probably won't have it.

With Delta, Jet, Powematic, etc you won't have that problem.

In all fairness to the sales guy, if he doesn't sell Grizzly, how do you expect him to argue its merits? I've been in a lot of stores where I've seen other people coming in and "looking" at all the saws there and then challenging the sales guy to beat the Grizzly price. When the sales people explain the downside of Grizzly.. hard to get spare parts, nowhere local to service it (if you need it), etc., the guy usually just leaves the store saying "I don't care, I'm buying the Grizzly".. That sounds a lot like you. Not a slam on you, but if you want to buy the Griz, go ahead, don't wait around for validation from us. Just be aware that there is a trade off. I had a big move 6 years ago, and it sure was nice to call Jet and Delta to get replacement parts for the pieces that got lost/broken in the move. Also, the "name" brands will have a lot better resale value if you ever decide to get out of the hobby.

Reply to
bf

Jim - I've posted many times before as to my support for Grizzly. IMO, they offer the finest balance of quality and price. I run a 12inch, 5hp RT machine and I could not be happier with the performance. I'd say - Go Grizzly!

Reply to
Joe Bemier

Based on what? Got proof?

So how does calling Jet or Delta for replacement parts make Grizzly deficient in that department? If I call Ford for lost or broken parts, does that automatically put Yugo in the category of not having parts? Not saying that you're wrong, but I don't see any evidence that your right.

Reply to
Frank Howell

Reply to
sweetsawdust

Jim: I am not familiar with the G0478 but I have owned a Grizzly 1023S cabinet saw for about five years and love it. I also own a few other grizzly sanders and other items. I started my search about six years ago pretty much predisposed to the Unisaw, based on experience with 20-30 year old machines. I decided on the 1023 base on value, quality and the high degree of support I received in their Springfield store, on the phone and during the order/shipment process. I received my saw 36 hours after I placed the internet order.

Many who own Grizzly products feel good about them. Many who don't will badmouth them - largely based on its off-shore origin. I have a fully integrated shop (Green, Grey, Beige and Baby-Poop Yellow). If you buy tools of any of these colors today you'll likely get off-shore content or total off-shore assembly. I have a 1-1/2 year old Powermatic 95A jointer that clearly came from the east.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

You appear to contradict the World in regards to getting parts from Delta since it was acquired by Black and Decker and every local machine/tool shop stopped carrying them. I'm amazed that you can see into the future and that Jet, Powermatic or any other manufacturer didn't just happen to fold or get bought out.

I can speak for Grizzly, simply because I have other pieces of equipment, and haven't had an issue with parts or service before. So you make a lot of unfounded fabricated BS statements. See I wasn't looking for your or anyones validation. You aren't a current owner and really had nothing of any value to add....Unlike yourself, I'm pretty resourceful and intelligent not to slam you, but I can figure things out on my own and make very informed purchases. Kinda why I didn't ask you, but CURRENT OWNERS! I guess you simply have to much time on your hands to actually be helpful, but don't waste mine thats just plain rude!

Reply to
Tall Oak

I concur my experiences with Grizzly have been always professional! I was looking at the 1023, but that's just way to much saw for my needs. Essentually, I'm simply replacing a 99 buck table saw I've had since 78, and a circular saw, that have served my every need. All I'm doing is making a couple of cabinets, and think it's about time to upgrade. Money isn't a real issue, but I do have to be real about how much I'm going to use it versus my investement.

Thanks!

Reply to
Tall Oak

Reply to
Tall Oak

Yeah some folks here just have to run their sucks, with no knowledge or experience and can't add crap to a conversation. American tools are crap in Europe and Asian tools are crap in America. I doubt if any manufacturer could claim 100% USA components, workmanship or assembly. Basically only the stupid people will bad mouth Grizzly, because they paid more for less on almost any other product.

I've talked to almost every shop around they all spoke well of the Jet Powermatic and General when asked about Grizzly they mostly didn't have any experience with them, but they wouldn't slam it because they had no experience and the ones who did have some experience simply said that they are a good quality piece, at a good price. The Tool Sellers all badmouthed Grizzly even though none owned or would admit owning one (unlike the first kid, I was an honest seller and when asked a question gave an honest answer, even if it hurt my sales) They all told me pretty much the same exact song Poor Quality Control, Poor Service and they're all the way in PA...(yeah like I'll just pick up the damn saw and take it to him for repair) I'll ship to him as easily as PA! I would never have bought Grizzly, didn't even know who they are. When I finally go a catalog from a friend on a lark I bought a

19 dollar nail gun, worked great, so in baby steps I bought various products over time all completely satisfied. Then I got a bandsaw and a sliding router table etc etc.I couldn't complain one bit and basically am laughing all the way to the bank.

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
Tall Oak

I forgot to mention - If you call Grizzly's service they will provide you with names and phone# of up to two people in your general area that have purchased the tool you are considering. I used this service and the conversations helped me decide. Also gives you a chance to touch the tool before buying.

Take a look at the catalogue list of companies Griz does business with. I used to work for Raytheon and their wood modeling and tool shops are full of Grizzly tools.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Raytheon in Palo Alto by any chance??? I worked with them on Fiber Optics and the Night Vision stuff!

I will do that! The Hybrid is rather new. Getting the 1023SL is just wasting a good saw, and the Hybrid is really a trade off. I considered the Rigid, but way to much plastic, but it will cut 36" and it's own dolly. I would actually have picked it up, but the fence was a sad fence, and aftermarket fences would defeat the cost of the Rigid it's main point! Honestly the solid base of the hybrid simply is cleaner and saves me the trouble of assembling it.

Thanks! Jim.

Reply to
Tall Oak

Raytheon Aircraft - Wichita Ks

Reply to
RonB

Well Grizz will be sending me someone "local" to contact! So Thanks for that tip!

Jim

Reply to
Tall Oak

Only ancedotal proof, talking to 2 people with older Grizzly stuff. Griz discontinued that model and no longer stocks replacement parts. I didn't ask how easy it is to get replacement parts for stuff that is still in production.

The point is that I can call Delta or Jet and get any part I need. Not always the case with Griz, although maybe my 2 friends are the exception. I'm not saying Griz is crap, I'm sure it's adequate for a lot of hobbyist, but you do get something for paying a little more for a name brand. I'm not a machinery expert, so I don't know if Griz does extra shortcuts in the manufacturing or not.

Reply to
bf

Yes, you did ask for my opinion. But if you're going to accuse me of lying, I'm done with this thread. Enjoy your Griz.

Reply to
bf

I have seen Grizzly in a lot of commercial shops and have not heard about anybody having problems with parts. Grizzly makes a lot of commercial equipment as well. This is far heavier than any hobby stuff.

As for Delta. When black and Decker took them over, they declared that the old policy of stocking parts forever was going to stop. Those old Delta machines that run forever just won't make them enough money! Don't count on Delta for parts forever. That was the old Delta.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Thanks for that information. I didn't realize the policy change. That will affect my future buying decsions. And thanks for being cordial, unlike the OP.

Reply to
bf

What Part of "ANY CURRENT OWNERS" did you fail to understand?

Reply to
Tall Oak

Same song Ryobi. I bought one of their 12-1/4' surface planers about 10 years ago. These older machines have a reputation for running and running and running (not necessarily the newer stuff).

Neat part is I could buy a set of blades for about $14, until a couple of years ago when they discontinued. When last checked, the aftermarket set that replaces mine sells for $74. That put it pretty close to a keep or sell decision until I learned that Delta makes a set that will fit it. Maybe I had better stock up on the Delta blades.

RonB

Reply to
RonB