Before I do something dumb

How clean a dado will I get using a 3/4" router bit on black melamine faced MDF?
The router is table mounted and I will use a fence. The final dado depth will be approximately 3/8" to accept another slab of the same material standing perpendicular to the dadoed piece.
I am not concerned with the structural strength, just the chip out on the black melamine, which would be real ugly for this particular project. Bill Waller New Eagle, PA
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

I just did some today (not black, light gray). The cut was very clean. Try a scrap first but it should cut with ease. I did the first three cuts 1/8" at a time, but got lazy and did the fourth full dept. Perfect cut, but at a slower pace.
I'm sure you are using a sharp bit right?

You'll probably have to score it first to completely avoid chip out.
For the first few passes of the router, just barely kiss the melamine layer, until you're through to the wood. Then cut as usual for wood. That way, the melamine has the most support while it's being cut.

Make sure you clamp or otherwise tightly hold a piece of scrap against the end of the melamine, or else it's likely to chip out at the end of the cut.

Just wanted to say thanks to those who responded to my question. The dado came out very well and I am now looking at my grandson's Christmas present. Just what every twelve-year-old wants, a new alarm clock. :-)