been a bit busy here in NZ

Well winter has hit and we have had our share of "chilly" mornings. Sumptum like minus 13 C in the out-of-the-way places...me...I'm fine...potbelly stove in t he corner of the shop keeps me quite toasty....as long as the coal lasts. Quite a change for this here "Yank"...from Sunny California no less. Anyways...I'm here to report that the shop extension is underway...the backhoe man was here this week and I am hoping that in 2 weeks from now...the shop will be twice it's present size.
Now...my question of the moment is....
Does anyone out there use the Triton router. I have had PC's and now I'm using a Bosch 1300...Here in Kiwiland they don't like or can't get fixed base routers...so I'm looking at the Triton. The reason I don't have the PC190 is that we are 240 volts/50 hz and the PC don't like that much!
Also...I'm looking for a new tablesaw...I want a powermatic 66...but seems like all anyone wants to sell me is stamped steel crapola.
Cheers (that "seeya" in Kiwi
John
--
Rose Cottage Woodworks
www.rosecottageinn.co.nz.woodworks
On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 23:41:41 +1200, John Gilham/Patsy Scott wrote:

Whoah!! That sounds so wierd given that's it July and in the UK we seem to be just having nice weather (well, we're on a couple of days dip, but after that it should be nice and warm again!).
Cheers,
Andy
I have the Triton and it is adequate. It would be the best router on the market, IMHO, if they fixed the collet. The collet is very short and it is not self-releasing. I always have to tap the bit to get it loose and sometimes I have to take the collet out and tap the bottom of the router bit with a pin punch to get the collet to release. I may be guilty of being over zealous with my tightening but, I lost a bit the first or second time that I used the router so I make sure that the collet is tight. It is too bad that Triton marred such a great router with such an inferior collet. It would be well worth their while to purchase manufacturing rights to either the PC or the Bosch self releasing collet.
That is my $0.02. Yours may vary.
--
David Chamberlain

snipped-for-privacy@nospamhotmail.com
Comprehensive review of the Triton router here http://www.mv.com/users/besposito/woodworking /
I use my Triton router just about every day and it hasn't missed a beat in over 6 months. I use it in a table and hand held. I have never had a problem with the collet not releasing, this was one of the design features that the collet would always release the bit.
I would definitely buy this router again.