Beech Tree (X post)

Well I don't know about "carved" but certainly can have it sawn up at your yard into boards in its green state and this would probably be better now vs. later. See if you can find someone in the yellow pages with a portable saw mill.

Reply to
Leon

Hi, Due to an insurance issue, the local church were this week forced to fell a mature Beech tree (Fagus sylvatica). Sad as it was, I did manage to persuade the contractors not to cut it up and burn it, and got them to bring it up to my yard, where it now lays. The main trunk is around 3ft diamater and over 6ft long, after which it divides into four (still fairly substantial) branches. What I would like to know:

Is there any way it could be carved 'in the green' and then treated so as to keep splitting to a minimum? At an inch a year, I will be an old man if I have to wait for it to season!!

I was hoping to get it carved into a life-sized figure.

TIA, Steve

Reply to
stephent