Beech splitting when crossing Rockies

No surprise. There is a lot of beech in Ohio, not much birch. A big part of the cost of wood is transportation cost. There is also a lot less demand for beech, it's primary use seems to be for making fake maple furniture.

Reply to
fredfighter

Beech is tight grained and has a reputation for being difficult to kiln dry without a lot of waste. A local sawyer will not even try to kiln dry it in thicknesses, over 4/4. Probably your supplier needs to dry it on a schedule that holds it at temperature longer, which will raise the cost.

Shellac would probably help too, but you've indicated that it would have to go through a long approval process, despite being approved in other food applications.

Reply to
fredfighter

It comes in spurts. Sometime we see fine checking in a batch and know there will be trouble. We try to weed out the worst and pray for the best. We've got the kilning conditions, the weather and the trees themselves to deal with. What can you say...it's wood!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

If you ever want to hear a good belly laugh, order a bunk or two of 6/4 beech FAS.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Fri, Feb 16, 2007, 3:43pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@ohiobrush.com (Tom=A0Gardner) doth sayeth: I make wire brushes from KD Beech. It is a problem when we ship to California

Who can blaim 'em? I wouldn't want to live their either.

JOAT When in doubt, go to sleep.

- Mully Small

Reply to
J T