Beech splitting when crossing Rockies

Page 2 of 2
On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 15:43:57 GMT, "Tom Gardner"

If everything else is fine, ie if you could magically teleport the brushes to the destination they would acclimate fine without cracking, then I would look into how to package them to insulate them from the changes they see in shipping rather than how to change the product.
-Leuf

Perhaps -- but I think substituting yellow birch for beech should be the first try. The large difference in hardness imagined by the OP just doesn't exist, and birch is more stable.
--
Regards,

Some items like ice cream and potato chips are shipped via the southern route to avoid the pressure problem. I suppose that you could make up a test batch and place them in a vacuum chamber to simulate the atmospheric change.
As a side story when I was driving a truck, I had a pint size bottle of Clorox In my laundry bag and when I got to Wyoming I smelled bleach and found that the pressure in the bottle had broken the cap and the stuff had leaked all over my bunk. Punched some nice holes in my sleeping bag and my jeans. Also once when I stopped to make my self a sandwich, I twisted the top on the mustard bottle and the pressure inside sprayed my face and shirt with mustard.
--

Roger Shoaf

5% loss? Man, what a beech.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf.lonestar.org
Fri, Feb 16, 2007, 3:43pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@ohiobrush.com (TomGardner) doth sayeth: I make wire brushes from KD Beech. It is a problem when we ship to California <snip>
Who can blaim 'em? I wouldn't want to live their either.
JOAT When in doubt, go to sleep. - Mully Small