Bed Rail

One of the side rails on my bed gave up the ghost. It seems to be made of

4/4 baltic birch plywood. The metal rail hangers simply twisted the plys open.

I'm replacing the rail with a good hardwood - probably red oak. The question is this: What is the best way to mill the slot at the ends of the rail to accept the metal hanger? It is a blind slot and looks less than

1/8" wide.

Walter

Reply to
Walter T Briggs

I've done it with a plunge router and edge guide.. Bed rails are long, though, so I clamped the stock vertically and had to stand on a step stool to reach the long ends. Also clamp extra stock flush to the ends to give the router extra support.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Or you can sneak it inside by routing a stopped trim from the face.

Unless you're below or inside the mattress, you'll never know.

Reply to
George

True.

Reply to
Brian

"Walter T Briggs" wrote in news:QSKAc.6579$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

You are only going to make 4 slots. Get out your chisels (you know, the cutters without electrical cords) and cut them by hand. It will be just as fast, plus will be quieter and the sawdust won't be all over the shop. Also, less chance of making a fatal mistake and ruining an expensive board.

Reply to
Hitch

Hitch wrote in news:Xns950F67842ACEAjssnowhotmailcom@130.133.1.4:

And, if you MUST use a tailed tool, use an electric drill to hog out the bulk of the material, pre-chisel.

Please don't restart the thread on what type of chisel is most appropriate to use here! ;-)

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch