Bed Question

I am working on the final details of my stickley bed. My bed is going to be a king (76" X 80"). I don't want to screw up the width by making it to small.

How much wiggle room should I shoot for on each side? 1/2" 1/4" ?? I think if it's to big it will look funny, but at the same time if I make it to small, I risk having the box spring not fit.

See ABPW for 'rough' CAD drawing. (I'm still learning this CAD stuff- No slats drawn in yet or curves)

Reply to
Stoutman

Mattress sizes can vary slightly between manufactures. I'd pick out a mattress set you want and measure it, then adjust the size to fit. If you aren't sure about the set you want, take a trip to a mattress store and measure several from different manufactures. I have bought them that fit so tight they had to be jammed in between the rails to having an inch clearance all around. If the rails are too tight, the cover material of the foundation will wear excessively in a short period of time. I would think between a 1/4 to 1/2" clearance on both sides would work well, and have enough room to put it in place and remove it while not allowing any shifting,

CC

Reply to
CC

As an FYI, here are the mattress sizes that I used when making beds:

BED SIZES Twin = 39 x 75. Twin XL = 39 x 80.

3/4 Size = 47 1/2 x 75. Full = 53 x 75. Full XL = 53 x 80. Queen = 60 x 80. Super Queen = 66 x 80. California King = 72 x 84. King = 76 x 80.

I used a half inch over these sizes in length and width in sizing the frame.

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

I build them to have an extra 1" for the width and length.

I believe a king size box spring is two parts, you'll have to have slats and center support.

Reply to
George Max

Thanks to all that responded. I am going with 1" of wiggle room all the way around.

I am going after a Stickley design (Harvey Ellis). The rendering does not have the corbels or curves in the rails. I still can't figure out how to do curves in CAD yet. (turbocad)

Posted in ABPW

Reply to
Stoutman

Thanks Tom, my old link to a site with those measurements is no longer valid.

Reply to
Leon

What does the Stickley site state for their dimensions?

-Jim

Reply to
jtpr