Bed project - Gel Stain

I am refinishing an antique bed for my son. It is at least 60 years old but not necessarily top-of-line furniture. It has at least three distinct woods or wood veneers that were originally finished in a dark red mahogany color. It also had two coats of paint on top.

- Fronts of head and foot boards have some very pretty Mahogany veneer.

- Side boards are Pine, very grainy and the red stain has soaked into the grain very well.

- Spindle legs appear to be a lighter colored Mahogany with descent appearing grain (maybe, just now getting them cleaned up pretty well).

Problem is the original red finish and varying penetration on the different woods. I have most of the finish off but I am having difficulty getting the various shades of red evened out. I really don't want to bleach and I do plan to go back with a dark mahogany or red oak color.

Does this sound like a good candidate for a gel stain? Again, this isn't top quality furniture but I do want it to look nice.

Reply to
RonB

Think: P A I N T

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

AWWwww - That's too easy. I need to suffer a little.

Actually I thought about it until I saw the grain and color of the veneer.

Reply to
RonB

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 20:52:45 -0500, "RonB" calmly ranted:

Trying to stain previously finished or painted wood is an exercise in futility. (Staining previously untouched wood WELL is hard enough for experts.) If you put various types and shades of stain on the various shades of wood to make them match, it all changes once you put the finish (topcoat) on or you look at it under a different set of lighting. GFL, bubba.

3 words: Repaint it, please. ------------------

- Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened. ---

Website Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques