Bed Hardware Question

I used an inner piece of wood with the grain running perpendicular to the bed rail so that the bed rail side of the fastener was mounted with the grain also.

Reply to
Leon

Thanks. I noticed that great idea in another post as well; one of those, "Why didn't I think of that?". I've used a similar idea in the past myself, but never thought of it. I'll be tackling a bed in the near future, and appreciate all of the good ideas presented here. My inclination now is possibly a combination of ideas. That might require just a very little more effort in assembly. I'll see what I come up with, and if it's good enough will bring back here for scrutiny. It might be a while though since I'm temporarily forced to avoid dust for a month or two.

Reply to
Guess who

This never made it out on the 18th, so here goes anyway.

On 17 Jan 2005 19:58:23 -0800, the inscrutable "Mike in Arkansas" spake:

Wuss!

Drill the holes in the rails and use dowel centers to mark the bed posts. Screw a slat to the rails if you want a solid measuring device. That's if you haven't followed a plan and don't know that the actual center of the post should be on the mark. ;)

Do think about M&T for these rail-to-post joints. It would probably keep the squeaking down to a minimum, too. Wax before assembly.

- Yea, though I walk through the valley of Minwax, I shall stain no Cherry.

Larry Jaques

I hadn't ever thought of waxing the M&T on a bed to minimize squeaking. Thanks for a great tip.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass