Becomming a Journey man woodworker

Hello,

Does anyone know if there is a training system for becomming a journeyman woodoworker? Is it easy to get into?

Maybe I'm just looking for general information on the career path for professional woodworking.

Regards,

Reply to
Mike

Depends on what you mean by "woodworking", and where you are.

In the United States, "Carpentry" is a recognized trade, and there is a union training/apprenticeship program, for the construction industry. Specializations in 'rough carpentry' and 'finish carpentry'. Some 'vocational' high-schools offer coordinated training.

"Furniture making", and/or "cabinet making", is a whole 'nuther story. You have the 'factory' production-line operations, and the 'custom' shops. Speaking only about the U.S, there isn't any standardized program that addresses this kind of work. The 'technical high school' in the town I grew up in *did* have a 'furniture factory' program, where they taught serious furniture-making -- big shop ( the furniture factory alone was

20,000+ sq ft), big power (the building had its own substation), *big* equipment (e.g. multi-cutter dovetail machine that could do a _ten_foot_ long joint in a single cut -- one of only a few high-schools (that I'm aware of) in the country that did so.
Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Daepends on where you're going with this. I don't know of any formalized apprenticeship program for cabinetry in this country. My BIL did his aprenticeship in Denmark. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

Dave in Fairfax notes:

Mike Maxwell has a furniture making apprenticeship in Bedford, VA. He's an award winning maker and designer, runs Maxwell Furniture. maxwellfurniture.com

Charlie Self "Health food makes me sick." Calvin Trillin

Charlie Self

One could regularily check the classified ads in "Fine Woodworking" and "Woodshop News". I've seen apprenticeship opportunities in both publications.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Try your local vo-tech school, they often have a career path in woodworking or cabinet making available

John

Reply to
John Crea