Beaver 24" Scroll Saw (Model #3100)

I've just saved an old scroll saw from a trip to the junkyard, have stripped off several layers of paint and given it space in the corner of my workshop.

The base of this thing has a rather large reservoir to hold a lubricant. Inside is also a piece of felt that sits at the bottom.

What I'd like to know is:

What would be the preferred type of oil to use? Whether I should fill the entire cavity or merely keep the felt pad damp?

The following pictures are VERY similar to the model that I have:

*NB* The reservoir is behind the plate shown in closeup on the last pic.

Konfoozed