BEARS DEN INVADED!!

I have my shop in my 2 car garage that is "finished" in that it has plywood along the exterior walls, but there is very little insulation ( I'm working on that ). However... I'VE BEEN INVADED!!.... I am currently at war with spiders big enough to carry me away! I don't know where these things come from but they ain't tiny house spiders and they aren't tarantulas. but one just invaded my printer.. *Ponders how in the world to get him back out* What do you guys n gals do to keep this from happening... I don't mind most bugs .... BUT I HATE ARACHNIDS!!!!

signed... The scared bear!

Reply to
Troy

"Troy" stopped screaming like a sissy long enough to write:

First of all, don't be afraid - spiders can smell fear.

Sounds like wolf spiders, which are totally harmless, except for the extremely painful bite.

Try using a shop vac on 'em - boy does that piss them off!

Hope this helps.

-- Timothy Juvenal

Juvenal

I fog my shop at least once a month with these:

can get them at any of the borgs or wally world.. work great..

I note only hate spiders but don't care for webs and such in the shop... Mac

mac davis

Hey Troy, Most spiders are harmless and they will only bite if you grab them. Seriously, don't be annoyed by them. And the only bad thing about one getting in your printer is if he gets stuck in a roller. (bad for him, not you or the printer) Many years ago I had a small jumping spider walk out on the screen of my Macintosh. I moved the cursor towards it and the spider became defensive. Then as I moved the cursor away ,the spider pursued it. We "sparred " for about 10 minutes before I had to get back to work (on the computer). The spider was back the next day and we sparred again. I did not see him after that though. Kind of sad, because I was looking forward to teasing the spider while I did some computer work. Marc

Troy wrote:

Reply to
marc rosen

Even then, most spiders' fangs are not large or powerful enough to break the thicker skin of a hand (at least where you would grab them). And most animals, spiders included, when grabbed often become passive and prepare for the impending death stroke from another animal, as if they realize they're going to become another animal's meal and quickly adjust to the idea.

I had a childhood friend who used to pick up Black Widows, and none of them ever bit him. I even dared him once to tap on an egg sac then grab the female, which he did. She did nothing. Maybe it was him, maybe it was circumstance, and of course no one should do that kind of thing on purpose, but it was interesting to me to note that they did not readily bite.

Hard for an arachnaphobe to hear, but if not truly phobic then this is great advice. The way I look at it is that the only downside is cleaning out their webs on occasion; the upside is that they get rid of the bugs I really detest and rarely see (silverfish, mosquitoes and gnats, moths, etc.).

That's a good story, thanks Marc.

Reply to
hylourgos

I wonder how other posters can so confidently overlook the possibility of brown recluse or hobo spiders (both of which have necrotizing venom) given almost zero information.

Hire an exterminator.

Reply to
boorite

I saw a show on Discovery or TLC about necrotizing venom. Yikes!!! You'd be better off getting napalm on you then this stuff. DAGS these type of spiders for a pic and be sure that you don't have anythink like that in your shop.

Reply to
Mike

Since the OP stated they were BIG spiders it would be apparent to anyone reading BIG that it's neither the Brown Recluse nor the Hobo - both of which are considered small arachnids.

I would consider that a lot of information.

Reply to
Vic Baron

To elaborate on that:

Spiders eat insects. There must be insects in your shop, or else the spiders wouldn't be there. Get rid of those other bugs that you don't mind and you won't have spiders to worry about.

I had a roomate in college who worked as an exterminator. When he got a call about spiders, he looked for some other bugs and killed them.

Reply to
fredfighter

If you are talking about members of the Lycosidae family then the above is incorrect!

Wolf Spiders are venomous. While not generally considered to be lethal, a bite could result in serious illness for a young child, the aged, or those with a compromised immune function.

Reply to
Joe Bemier

Dear arachnids; It has come to my attention that you are protesting my occupancy of the garage. I've heard your protest and am sorry to inform you that do to the following circumstances you will be forced to vacate said premises immediately...

  1. You pay no rent towards upkeep of said property 2. You do not provide any material to help me in my shop 3. You do not attack burglars who might want my precious equipment 4. I don't like you and think your ugly... Especially when you drop on my head or race down the wall like your charging after me. 5. You don't speak to me nor smile for the web cam.

Ergo you are hereby order to vacate the premises promptly. You are welcome to reside OUTSIDE the shop and any other exterior areas that I possess. You may even live in the boat for the winter ( p.s. theres probably lots of good ants in there for you to eat ). I will happily leave the outside insects for you to consume as you desire. Lastly please note this is not a democracy. I am the dictator in this kingdom and have spoken. Having done so I hereby issue a proclamation of death to any who refuse to comply. Your domiciles will be decimated within 24hrs. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Thank you for your time. Bear There that oughta do it. Time to shop the flea markets for a hose for the vacuum cleaner.*now I just gotta find a notary to make it legal*

snipped-for-privacy@spamc>

Reply to
Troy

| What do you guys n gals do to keep this | from happening...

I put a hedge apple in each corner of the shop. The spiders stay out.

Morris Dovey

Which is???

Reply to
Dave Bugg

Osage Orange trees have these big green baseball sized things hanging off them this time of year. 'round here, there called monkey brains and the old wives tale says putting one in each corner will keep the spiders way. --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

| Morris Dovey wrote: | || I put a hedge apple in each corner of the shop. | | Which is???

A 50x50 space at one end of a steel building. It's square and the corners are where the walls meet.

Oh, the hedge apples? They're the inedible fruit of /Maclura pomifera/ or osage orange. See

for info. As far as I've been able to find out, they grow in most areas of the US; and a Google search turned up some UK references.

Spiders don't seem to like to be around 'em.

Morris Dovey

Thanks for filling me in.

Reply to
Dave Bugg

LOL!!! Boy, did I fall into that one.

Thanks for the info, Morris.

Reply to
Dave Bugg

Hedge apple is the "fruit" of the Osage Orange tree. Why they call it an apple when it comes from an "orange" tree is beyond me. It looks alot like a cross between a puffer fish and an apple. It is a green sphere with pointed spikes ( soft normally) radiating from it. I've seen them all over the place in kansas, and its very common there to fill a 5 gallon bucket once/yr or so with them and just set it in the corner. Just like Misqoutoes don't like eucalyptus spiders HATE hedge apples. I have no idea why but it is strong enough that it will keep several stories of rooms clear. I had forgotten about that till morris wrote it.

Thanks for reminding me... Now just to find them.

Troy

Dave Bugg wrote:

Reply to
Troy

Home Depot sells No pest strips. I use them all year and have not only no bugs but no mice. Only a slight odor.20X30 uses 3. Not real cheap but they last about 4-5 months

Reply to
Lee