BEARS DEN INVADED!!

Page 1 of 3
I have my shop in my 2 car garage that is "finished" in that it has plywood along the exterior walls, but there is very little insulation ( I'm working on that ). However... I'VE BEEN INVADED!!.... I am currently at war with spiders big enough to carry me away! I don't know where these things come from but they ain't tiny house spiders and they aren't tarantulas. but one just invaded my printer.. *Ponders how in the world to get him back out* What do you guys n gals do to keep this from happening... I don't mind most bugs .... BUT I HATE ARACHNIDS!!!!
signed... The scared bear!
Add pictures here
βœ–
Remove their food sources, and they'll leave. Tom Troy wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
tom wrote:

To elaborate on that:
Spiders eat insects. There must be insects in your shop, or else the spiders wouldn't be there. Get rid of those other bugs that you don't mind and you won't have spiders to worry about.
I had a roomate in college who worked as an exterminator. When he got a call about spiders, he looked for some other bugs and killed them.
--

FF

Add pictures here
βœ–
Dear arachnids; It has come to my attention that you are protesting my occupancy of the garage. I've heard your protest and am sorry to inform you that do to the following circumstances you will be forced to vacate said premises immediately...
1. You pay no rent towards upkeep of said property 2. You do not provide any material to help me in my shop 3. You do not attack burglars who might want my precious equipment 4. I don't like you and think your ugly... Especially when you drop on my head or race down the wall like your charging after me. 5. You don't speak to me nor smile for the web cam.
Ergo you are hereby order to vacate the premises promptly. You are welcome to reside OUTSIDE the shop and any other exterior areas that I possess. You may even live in the boat for the winter ( p.s. theres probably lots of good ants in there for you to eat ). I will happily leave the outside insects for you to consume as you desire. Lastly please note this is not a democracy. I am the dictator in this kingdom and have spoken. Having done so I hereby issue a proclamation of death to any who refuse to comply. Your domiciles will be decimated within 24hrs. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
Thank you for your time. Bear There that oughta do it. Time to shop the flea markets for a hose for the vacuum cleaner.*now I just gotta find a notary to make it legal*
snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
Thu, Oct 5, 2006, 4:20pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@iowatelecom.net (Troy) puzzedly posted: <snip> 1. You pay no rent towards upkeep of said property       2. You do not provide any material to help me in my shop       3. You do not attack burglars who might want my precious equipment       4. I don't like you and think your ugly... Especially when you drop     on my head or race down the wall like your charging after me.       5. You don't speak to me nor smile for the web cam. <snip>
Astonishing, except for number 4, that could well be me, talking about one of my sons.
βœ–
LOL I understand completely Troy
J T wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
"Troy" stopped screaming like a sissy long enough to write:

First of all, don't be afraid - spiders can smell fear.
Sounds like wolf spiders, which are totally harmless, except for the extremely painful bite.
Try using a shop vac on 'em - boy does that piss them off!
Hope this helps.
-- Timothy Juvenal www.tjwoodworking.com
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 16:34:21 GMT, "Juvenal"

If you are talking about members of the Lycosidae family then the above is incorrect!
Wolf Spiders are venomous. While not generally considered to be lethal, a bite could result in serious illness for a young child, the aged, or those with a compromised immune function.

Add pictures here
βœ–

I fog my shop at least once a month with these: http://tinyurl.com/fhn62
You can get them at any of the borgs or wally world.. work great..
I note only hate spiders but don't care for webs and such in the shop... Mac
βœ–
Hey Troy, Most spiders are harmless and they will only bite if you grab them. Seriously, don't be annoyed by them. And the only bad thing about one getting in your printer is if he gets stuck in a roller. (bad for him, not you or the printer) Many years ago I had a small jumping spider walk out on the screen of my Macintosh. I moved the cursor towards it and the spider became defensive. Then as I moved the cursor away ,the spider pursued it. We "sparred " for about 10 minutes before I had to get back to work (on the computer). The spider was back the next day and we sparred again. I did not see him after that though. Kind of sad, because I was looking forward to teasing the spider while I did some computer work. Marc
Troy wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
marc rosen wrote:

Even then, most spiders' fangs are not large or powerful enough to break the thicker skin of a hand (at least where you would grab them). And most animals, spiders included, when grabbed often become passive and prepare for the impending death stroke from another animal, as if they realize they're going to become another animal's meal and quickly adjust to the idea.
I had a childhood friend who used to pick up Black Widows, and none of them ever bit him. I even dared him once to tap on an egg sac then grab the female, which he did. She did nothing. Maybe it was him, maybe it was circumstance, and of course no one should do that kind of thing on purpose, but it was interesting to me to note that they did not readily bite.

Hard for an arachnaphobe to hear, but if not truly phobic then this is great advice. The way I look at it is that the only downside is cleaning out their webs on occasion; the upside is that they get rid of the bugs I really detest and rarely see (silverfish, mosquitoes and gnats, moths, etc.).

Add pictures here
βœ–
Troy wrote:

I wonder how other posters can so confidently overlook the possibility of brown recluse or hobo spiders (both of which have necrotizing venom) given almost zero information.
Hire an exterminator.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I saw a show on Discovery or TLC about necrotizing venom. Yikes!!! You'd be better off getting napalm on you then this stuff. DAGS these type of spiders for a pic and be sure that you don't have anythink like that in your shop.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Yep.. my bro-in-law was bitten by a recluse... He's had 2 or 3 operations, to remove dead tissue from his leg... yuk!
Mac
βœ–

Since the OP stated they were BIG spiders it would be apparent to anyone reading BIG that it's neither the Brown Recluse nor the Hobo - both of which are considered small arachnids.
I would consider that a lot of information.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Vic Baron wrote:

No, hobo spiders are considered "moderately large" (up to 18mm), and if I saw them in my house, I would feel justified in typing BIG in all caps. They are also now the leading cause of serious envenomation in the northwestern United States. Brown recluse get about 2/3 as large. Since "BIG" is vague and subjective, I do not consider this "a lot of information." Even with a specimen in hand, it is usually very difficult to identify the species. I don't think anyone can confidently say what these spiders are or aren't, given the OP.
Add pictures here
βœ–
boorite wrote:

PS: The largest recorded brown recluse was almost 3".
Add pictures here
βœ–
boorite wrote:

This is what I just found in the bedroom: http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1807645163/photo/434962
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com
Dave Bugg wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
Dave Bugg wrote:

You know, if you see one of those, it means you have at least 1,000.
Add pictures here
βœ–