BeadLOCK loose tennon jointing system - a few questions

I've bought one of these BeadLock things and have been using over the last day or two. It works, but I'm a little concerned that it might work too well.

It's one of these things:

bought the jig as well as the recommended drills from Trend. All works well ...but...on a fairly large glue-up it was difficult to put it all together.

Observations: It doesn't produce a close fit it produces an exact fit. This makes the joint mighty tight without any glue. The first joint I made I tried to dry fit the tenon and couldn't do it by hand, so I started to whack it with a mallet. Which worked. Once it was about 1/2" or so in it dawned on me that it wasn't going to be easy to get it out again. So I stopped, and then spent several minutes with the mallet whacking the mortised part away from the 'loose' tenon. It is really really tight. If it wasn't for the slightly flattened edges of the tenon I doubt even air would escape.

I'm using, well used - because the job is done now, 1/2" tenons on the side rails of a bench for my CMS. To make life easy I cut all the tenons to length (all sharp leading edges knocked off) and then glued up the mortises in the rails, glued and then whacked in the tenons and let the glue set. Easy stuff, so far. Worked a treat.

Today I fitted the rails (now with tenons) between the rear pair of legs and the front pair. Mucho difficult. Much cursing, whacking and gnashing of teeth. Not helped by the fact that I only have the 'F' type clamps and screwing them tight was almost more than I could do (new clamps tomorrow I think). Anyway it did all pull together but it was difficult.

So, Questions:

Should a joint be such a 'perfect fit? I worry about all the glue getting scraped down to the bottom of the mortise. (not that you would ever get it apart again even if you forgot the glue)

Should I re-drill the mortise with an ever so slightly over sized drill bit on future projects.? (as it is I can't dry fit anything and have to wing it)

And also, if any of you have one of these toys have you had the same problem and what, if anything, did you do?

Thanks (BTW, I think the whole idea of the product is brilliant and it is a breeze to use, so I'm not knocking it - I just want to make it a little more practical)

Reply to
gandalf

Heres a forum thread you might like to look at:

Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews
5 Reviews:

- Infinity Router Bits

- Incra Wonder Fence

- Veritas Jointer Blade Sharpener

- Miller Dowel System

- Robert Sorby Woodturning Chisels

Woodman

Just a couple of thoughts.

  1. Are you keeping the bead lock tennon stock in an air tight container to prevent swelling over time from humidity?
  2. Are you putting the joint together ASAP to prevent any swelling from humidity, of the holes that you drilled?
Reply to
Leon

Wood doesn't make an exact fit. If you assemble it when it's "exact", then moisture will either relax it to "close", or split it.

What's your humidity like ? Are the tenons dry and well stored ?

Andy Dingley

------------ Well, I acknowledge that you know more than I as to the nature of wood, but from my perspective it is 'exact', even if the term is wrong.

------------ There's a cheery thought.

The wood receiving the mortise is pine and the tenon is birch, if that makes any difference.

I've no idea what the humidity is, it is whatever one could expect in a typical room in an English house. The tenons have been sat here in my study for about two weeks prior to using them. But these tenons were the ones that came with the kit. How they were stored before I bought it I don't know, that may have some bearing. 'Woodman' pointed me towards a forum where this was discussed and the original poster had a similar problem with the tenons which was alleviated somewhat by buying new ones.

I intend to get some PVC pipe and a couple of end-caps to make up a container for the things. This may help prevent any expansion, also I'll keep it in the house, not the garage (workshop, lol!) I'm not going to give up on this gadget as it is such a good idea.

Thanks for your input.

Reply to
gandalf

---------- Thanks for the link. I'll do what he did and buy new tenons.

Reply to
gandalf

---------- No, they languished here in my study for about two weeks. I will knock up an air tight container for any more I buy. (I may have caused my own problem)

-------- Yep, within minutes. The system is so quick and 'easy' that you can create the joint in no time.

But I think that until I buy new tenons I'm never going to know if the original tenons were the problem. I'm going to get some, make the mortise and only then remove the tenons from whatever packaging it comes in. If I can push fit it, then fine. If I have to beat the hell out of it with a mallet then not fine. Should the worst happen, i.e. nothing different to first attempt, then I will call Trend and see what they have to say.

Thanks.

Reply to
gandalf

I've use one a fair amount to build some screens for a porch. Two thoughts: Buy the router bit and make your own stock. Its a bit tricky, but you can adjust the fit. Secondly, did you run your bit in and out of the jig more than once. I drill the hole and then run the bit in and out several times in each hole. They do fit tight, though.

Reply to
Al Palmer

Might try drying those you already have in a warm oven.

Reply to
Larry Kraus

gandalf wrote:> joint in no time.

If you suspect they swelled due to humidity, put them in your oven set at its lowest temperature (under 200F) for a bit. Regards, Hank

Reply to
Henry St.Pierre