Beaded Face Frame - Kreg

You mean that oxy-clean-moron, or is that Jack? ;-)

Reply to
FrozenNorth

My most useful and sharpest tool is actually Occam's Razor.

Regards,

Tom Watson

Tom Watson

Simply said ...

Reply to
Swingman

Sound like a really super tool, but =20 Where does one find Gordian Knots?? :-)

P D Q

Reply to
PDQ

everywhere

Regards,

Tom Watson

Tom Watson

Sound like a really super tool, but

Where does one find Gordian Knots?? :-)

My extension cords

Reply to
Rick Samuel

I have no idea. But for the last few nifty machines I have looked at, it always seems that it will be easier to use than it is. I think I am jaded. =:o

Either that design hasn't made its way over here yet in full force, or our designers didn't like it. I see the beading on bath cabs and such, but not on full kitchens. Maybe the cost... dunno...

Are you sure? Lots of conspiracy guys around here these days... you'll never get away with it!!

Reply to
nailshooter41

Dovetail jigs come to mind, or repeated battles with same. :)

True ... it is time consuming, therefore costly, and thus not often seen in 'wham bam thank you mam' built-in jobs ... IME, something you want to do in the shop.

Sorry to hear that ... you're not that far from Austin, where I've been having a difficult time finding subs at all, as those guys are busy as hell and very proud of what they do. I wouldn't mind the latter except that the quality of work in that area is decidedly inferior to what we get in the Houston area, as much as I bitch about that.

That said, the next house is stuck in planning stages and may not come unstuck for some time, so I could well be in the same boat after the first of the year.

Maybe there will finally be more time to go fishing ...

Reply to
Swingman

We just had an interesting page of statistics in our local newspaper about our real estate situation. Home building of homes over $400,000 and less than 1.5 million has only decreased about 10 - 15% in this economic downturn.

Long hailed as a great value market, San Antonio became extremely inflated in the price ranges of about $150K to $300K. That's my normal bread and butter market. They don't want to start over again with a new house, so they refurb. Their payments may be low enough that they feel like a new bath or paint/tile/carpet/cabs would work great with a home loan.

With the economy finally catching up to us, many of the contractors I know that do the remodel/repair stuff I do are either gone or in dire straights.

And now with the home builders being so desperate, it is hard for me to sell an $5K - $8K bath when they can literally get in a brand new house with all new everything and warranties to back it up for about $2500 or less. They feel like they will be leaving all the old problems behind if they go new. We may know better, but if their old house needs a lot of maintenance, who cares? They are looking at the $$ and bang for the buck.

My bigger, better clients (read: financially secure) are now downsizing as well, so they are looking more at garden homes. Middle aged +, they are more economically experienced and savvy, and they are looking to cut long term costs where they can to prepare for their futures. They have also adopted a "wait and see" attitude about the economy, and those old peach and green color schemes just don't seem nearly as annoying as they did 2 years ago.

My bailiwick is younger to middle aged urban professionals that don't mind remodeling to get their house the way they like it. Similarly, they protect their investment by keeping up with repairs and maintenance. They were also good for the "I wanna" stuff like new front door systems, Hardie plank installs, skylights, etc. that I could get on and get off.

Many of my friends in this business are now broke, going broke, or are living off their spouse's income. We have had four lumberyards close their locations here in the last 18 months due to lack of business.

The big box guys tell me that they are experiencing anywhere from 20 -

30% fall off of sales in their stores from consumers, depending on the store location.

It sucks around here. There is work, but I have to hustle all the time to get it. This is really hard for me after almost 30 years in business as you would think there would be a certain amount of business "built in".

I have never advertised but once in all these years, but word of mouth has kept me busy for all these years. I am used to having a 2 - 3 month backlog on most of my work, so a two week "iffy" schedule situation is killing me. It reminds me of starting out in business.

My amigos think I am lucky as I am not in bad shape like they are. But having done this in the late 70s, late 80s, part of the 90s, and now as a self employed guy, I have gotten the hang of downsizing, and remembering that ego and pride don't pay the bills. Doesn't mean I have to like it...

I should have been an insurance salesman.

Actually Karl, that's a good point. I used to eat my heart out in these times and make myself completely miserable. Never did my self inflicted misery do me a bit of good.

This time around I have bought some new hiking and camping gear, and will do more woodturning for Christmas this year. I am thinking of taking some wood carving classes too, as the Texas Woodcarvers Guild is having classes here about every six months. I would love to learn how to chip carve. No Santas or farm animals for me; I like the Celtic knots and european diamonds. I am wanting to learn how to make a jewelry box or gun box/case and carve something unique on it.

Rather than just "getting through" the holidays as quickly as possible, I am going to make a real effort to enjoy them this year with the family and friends I still have left.

Sorry... just waxing a bit here on a rainy day...

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

RE: Subject

Beaded Face Frame AKA: Dirt Catcher

I'll pass.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Like a raised panel, or recessed panel, or door with details won't catch dirt? What about those exposed hinges?

Reply to
Leon

Those too.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

That's what my wife thinks too, she wants flat doors.

Luigi

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

We HAVE flat doors. Who has time to clean the 5-piece ones?

Reply to
Robatoy

leaf blower

Regards,

Tom Watson

Tom Watson

We HAVE flat doors. Who has time to clean the 5-piece ones?

Now I am starting to wonder about my 25 piece doors that I finished building yesterday.

Reply to
Leon

Sounds like a few mullions. Show us when you're done.

I do like, and have made, complex doors. But for a 'work area' like a kitchen, Ang and I like practical.... because when we toss salads..we TOSS salads. Truth of the matter is, I put in slab doors until we made a decision what to do for doors. Just melamine with edgebanded doors. We liked them so much for day-to-day use, I re-made them with proper HPlam. Those took a lot longer to make than those I could have ordered, pre- finished, over the phone. *S*

Reply to
Robatoy

Easier to redirect this message to you Leon. I was wondering about your CT22 vacuum. Do you use it for other cleanups or just with your Festools? I've thought seriously about making a Domino purchase and I'd be a little closer to that step if I rationalized that I'd be using the vacuum for other uses besides just as a Festool woodworking addition.

Thanks

Reply to
upscale

I do like, and have made, complex doors. But for a 'work area' like a kitchen, Ang and I like practical.... because when we toss salads..we TOSS salads. Truth of the matter is, I put in slab doors until we made a decision what to do for doors. Just melamine with edgebanded doors. We liked them so much for day-to-day use, I re-made them with proper HPlam. Those took a lot longer to make than those I could have ordered, pre- finished, over the phone. *S*

Done deal of what is done so far. Look at a.p.b.w. I have a customer that prefers in his upper end homes to use MDF for the kitchen doors. He spray paints them and is happy with them. He has done this in 3 of the homes that he has moved into.

Reply to
Leon

----- Original Message ----- From: Newsgroups: rec.woodworking Sent: Tuesday, October 06, 2009 8:29 AM Subject: Festool Question: Was Beaded Face Frame - Kreg

Until about 3 years ago my clean up only involved a broom, dust pan, and trash can. I added a DC with a 20' flex hose that will reach and attach to my TS, BS, planer, drum sander , OSS, disk sander, and my router table. It will reach to most any point in my garage for the rest of what gets loose, usually that which falls through the bottom cracks under the cabinet saw. ;~)

When the Domino was introduced and I just had to have one I considered not using a shop vac along side, contrary to the Festool recommendations. I did not want to listen to the screaming shop vac that currently I had and at all costs avoided using for that very reason, so I bit the bullet and got the CT22 also. That made purchasing the 2 Festool sanders an easier consideration later on, no dust!

So for cleanup I really don't have much to clean up and mostly what does escape the DC or the CT 22 gets swept into a small lump and sucked up with the DC.

I mostly use the CT22 for the Domino, Rotex sander, and finish sander. Because I build with loose tennons more often now rather than with pocket hole screws the Kreg jig does not see as much action. BUT when I do use the Kreg pocket hole jig I hook up the CT22 using a $4 adapter and the pocket hole jig no longer makes a mess as it did in the past.

If my DC and its very accommodating 20' hose were not handy to use I would probably use the CT22 much more. It does have good suction and what I really appreciate about it is that when I have it and the Domino, Rotex sander, finish sander or my DeWalt 3/8" corded drill attached to it I can not hear it running. All of the power tools drown the CT22 out.

Keep in mind, IIRC if you buy the CT22 when you buy another Festool power tool you get a price break. Once I experienced the effectiveness and quiet of the CT22 I found myself trying to use it any time that I could. I cannot stress enough how much cleaner my shop is using the Festool sanders along side the CT22.

I would buy it all again with out hesitation knowing what I know now.

Reply to
Leon