Be careful with all tools...

I'm left/correct handed but use most power tools right handed.. the RAS is a definite exception, for the reasons that you listed..

I actually felt that I was using it "right handed", as I was aligning and holding the stock with my right hand and only using my left to pull the saw..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

ahh, but now you're opening up the metal working box of horrors.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

agreed that the fatigue factor is dangerous, but for me, not as bad as the repetition factor.. I tend to know when I'm getting to tired to have a good attention span when I'm doing various things in the shop, but the killer is when (on about any tool) you're into "production" mode and doing several of the same cuts, or whatever... you really have to stay focused or you sort of go on auto pilot... and that's when you are at risk..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Sloppy either way--sounds more like hari-kari than seppukku.

Reply to
J. Clarke

That's a pretty tough story to believe - at least considering what tools I use to drill holes and how I do it. I'm thinking something is missing from the explanation - like the Ryan chucked the crate to the drill chuck while holding the bit stationary...

Reply to
Owen Lowe

Way hard to believe. Sounds like a story that was "made up" by some one trying to make a point but does not have a clue.

Reply to
Leon

My personal vote is for hand chisels and utility knives. I've never hurt myself with a power tool, but I've got a whole pile of scars from neander tools. A properly sharpened chisel will hit bone before you even know you slipped. (I've got a fingertip on my left hand that is still aching like mad after almost a month)

They're all dangerous- it just depends on who you are, and what you're doing.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

I jabbed myself in the knuckle with an X-acto knife when I was 8 and it still reminds me on occasion 40+ years later.

Reply to
J. Clarke