Battery memory on NiCad cordless drill

"ToMh" wrote in news:s3fBg.1871$Lh4.723@trnddc02:

The new standard is lithium batteries.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Yes, and that includes the opinions that ppl are posting here - who knows which way to lean. Thats why I say calll Panasonic.

Reply to
Joe Bemier

Maybe my 10-year-old nicads never read the book :-)

Reply to
nicksanspam

Next time you're in Home Despot or the like check out the 36v lithium-ion deWalts.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Usually nicads are rated in how many charge cycles they can take. Around

300 to 600 cycles. I think that a partical charge is also a partical cycle but not sure. Some rechargables are just rated in number of years even if they are not used very often.
Reply to
Ralph Mowery

True, LiOn Cells will only have a useful life of about two years, after that they should be replaced, the same is true for LiPo batteries.

Reply to
John McFerren

I keep hearing this. My real world experience is otherwise.

Reply to
J. Clarke

:Regardless, I will make sure my next drill uses Nimh :batteries.

I got the NiCads because the drill came cheaper that way. It's true that NiMH will have greater capacity. They say that the modern NiCads don't have the memory effect, but I don't know if that's categorically true. However, something to consider is the fact that NiMH will self-discharge at a significantly higher rate than NiCads. For me, that's a very important factor because most of the energy drain on my cordless drill batteries is from sitting around, not from use. I think I'll stick with NiCads for that reason.

Reply to
Dan_Musicant

If you are letting the thing sit around a lot, get lithium batteries. The self-discharge of NiMH is overstated by many - they do discharge faster than NiCd, but not outrageously so. Li Ion, OTOH, will stay charged for long periods. However, the life of a Li battery is more closely tied to state of charge than to number of charge/discharge cycles. If it sits around fully charged a lot, it will not last as long as if it's allowed to sit around partially charged.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

Dan_Musicant wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Do NiMH short out or fail if self-discharged,like NiCds? If not,then they can be stored,then simply charged up before use,-without needing to buy new packs.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

:JimL wrote: : :> Four years is past the maximum life of a nicad even you you have :>only used them lightly. : :Maybe my 10-year-old nicads never read the book :-)

Indeed, I have NiCads that must be 8+ years old, are in many seasons very very seldom used and they seem to be reasonably adequate. I suspect I can revive my drill NiCads. I'm not shopping just yet.

Dan

Reply to
Dan_Musicant
1) Pulse charge and it will return to full energy if it is still in infancy .

Never deep cycle any battery . Batterys die for being NOT fully charged . Leave them discharged is to shorten life . ---------------- 2) NimH and Nicad lose 10% in 1 day , Li-Ion lose 1% . I gambled on 100 NimH "LenMars" 2.5 aH AA's from Buy.com .. 25% loss in 1 day , load tested OK , i tossed them , not worth my time .

----------------------------------------------------------------------- more ........................ Pulse charge a nicad and it "loses" its memory , return full energy . ........ a 4 amp pow supply with a simple Resistor works great . C cell ( NiCad ,NimH) , as in drills , can take 2-3 amps til about 1pt36 vdc (((Linux crap apps ! Konquerer ..Cant see the text , too small , no way to change it so i use pt for decimal point ))))))))

1 ) so pulse with a very low Z pow supply at 1pt48 to 1pt5 vdc per cell and a Resistor of 0pt25 ohms . Theorectically , you must select R ( 0pt25) carefully , use scope to see the lighter amps , for it will heat up if too much amps above 1pt38 vdc . 2) but since current is so hi and pow supply is likely to help the current limit anyway , just measure the current above 1pt36 to 1pt37 vdc and adj the supply Voltage instead of doin the Resistor . Now the resistor limiter is inside your pow supply and you can simply vary period of pulse to "tame" the circuit and keep batteries cool . Never charge a hot battery ( > 110F ) , they dry up , short life . Velleman has o'scope ( HPS-40 for $250 ) .

BTW Clever battery chargers use a 2 step current limit , but more clever is to make the heavy current , resistor controlled . BTW Li-Ion need a charge rate of less than "c" til 3.6 to 3.65 VDC at 25 Deg C . ( I.E. Sony 920 Notebook has 2.2 aH cells in parallel so 4.4 times 3 sets in series +12v in > | | | | Ground < | |

-means less than about 4 amps til 3.6 vdc ...Thus the pow supply will show 4.9 amps to pow notebook and charge both ( batts/Notebook) same time .

These Li-Ions are worth your while even if you are poor . They will Kill Nicad/Nimh for they have 1) more energy per cubic inch ... 2) same VERY hi discharge rates . 3) but retain energy beyond a week . dont fear paralleling , Li-Ions have much less cross talk ( discharge of lower volt cell by the higher volt cell ) than anything ....

Off Topic Your Z-6 Minolta DigiCam will NOT like alkalines You must use NimH for the hi power needed . And it dont like heat , remove batteries to allow heat to escape for 15 minutes and you can shoot again ... I guess refurbished can mean a tax dodge , the Camera IS new ! The price drop is combo of Loss Leader and a pass thru of tax .

Dan_Musicant wrote:

Reply to
werty

Months ? Nicads ? Wet Cell , in a plane ... OK . Dry types? from da store , for your drill ? naaaaaah . 50% in a 20 days !!

Li-Ion is high rate power , loss can be 1% /month . priced out of reach , ..... I tossed all my Nimh ! Just too good to be intimadated by price ! But they die if too much amps charge above the 3.65 vdc level .

All batteries will float if the amps are very low .

( BTW Harbor Fright tiny driver $20 , w/ Li-Ion has no greater than a 1 aH single cell ) .

George E. Cawth> > Dan_Musicant wrote in

Reply to
werty

Nonsense. NiCDs and NiMH batteries love to be discharged. That's the only way to store them for long periods. Don't "reverse charge" cell(s) in a multi-cell battery by discharging it below about 1V/cell though. They can be left to self discharge without damage. A single cell battery can be discharged to zero.

OTOH, lead-acid batteries must never be fully discharged and must be stored with a float charge. Lead-acid batteries are thus better for things like flashlights, UPSs, safety lighting, and such.

Not any more. NiCds may be 20% per month, usually less. NiMH has gotten a lot better too, but it was never as bad as 10% per day.

Reply to
Keith Williams

Would you have any evidence for this article of faith? :-)

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Keith Williams wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@News.Individual.NET:

Agreed.

That's wrong. They should be stored CHARGED. Do you have any cites for your claim?

NiCd Figures I've seen are ~5% self-discharge/day. Storage temperature greatly affects this.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I have seen datasheets for NiMH cells indicating that the self discharge rate decreases as self discharge progresses. A cell could self-discharge

5% in a day but less than 20% in a week. I would suspect NiCd can do something similar.

Don Klipstein

"werty" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

It is less painful to buy new batteries than read that post :-)

Reply to
Al Bundy

Yes, Gates' secondary battery manual. The chemical reaction stops with zero terminal voltage. They store quite nicely that way. In any case, they *will* self discharge and the worse thing possible for a NiCd or NiMH is to float charge it. THis is exactly the opposite as is the situation for Lead-acid cells.

Nonsense. They do *not* self discharge totally in a month. ...more like 20% a month. Classically NiMH self-discharges at about twice the rate of NiCD, but AIUI they've gotten much closer.

Reply to
krw

With my Johnson walkie talkies with the42 year old NiCads, i charge some every year or two. I have never found them totally dead.

greg

Reply to
GregS