bathroom hardwood floors leaking?

Hello,
We had recently visited an old house which had hardwood floors in the bathroom on the 2nd floor. Whilst taking a shower some water must have splashed out of the shower curtain, and the wallpaper on the ceiling on the first floor got damaged. I am just wondering as to what might have caused water to go through the hardwood floors to damage the wallpaper.
Any thoughts?
thanks, TP

Gravity.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

Dang - You beat me to it!!! LOL

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes:

Hardwood floors are not water resistant. Water will easily seep through.
There may also have been or still is a leak in the plumbing somewhere.
Brian Elfert
writes:

Actually many hardwood floors ARE water resistant. They are not Water Proof.

Probably not through the wood, but the joints between boards and at the ends under moldings. Caulk edges, seal the rest of the floor.

Have you ever noticed the cracks between the boards?

I suspect they're seams; he didn't mention any cracks. Or joints; yeah, joints.
--
"New Wave" Dave In Houston

The first word would be appropriate if the boards are BUTTed together, no?
Or am I being a little cheeky?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Could be a plumbing problem. If it's a three-valve shower rather than a single-lever then the center valve may be leaking with the leak running inside the wall.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
On 27 May 2005 07:25:14 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

That'll make any clean up down the road quite a chore. How about fixing the problem and not worrying about the floor? The floor will survive a bathroom with no leaks just fine. Fix the leaks, the floor is happy.