Basement Shop, Narrow Stairs--Table Saw?

That's the truth- I think I spent about 2 hours fiddling with bolts and an hour running a 220 line before I even got to turn mine on.

Reply to
Prometheus

Thanks, that's the type of description I needed.

I'm not sure we're talking about the same Dewalt saw. I'm referring to the $950 DW746X, which was an Editor's choice in American Woodworker over competitors such as the $850 Delta 36-431 contractor's saw, and which got good reviews from other magazines. The advantage it offers for my small shop is the cabinet-saw-like design. Since the motor doesn't hang off the back, it doesn't require as much floor space.

Is there anyone here who has this saw who can describe how it's packaged when you buy it? Thanks.

Reply to
Chris Wolf

How'd you run the 220 over? Individual leads in conduit? Or something else?

Reply to
George Max

I went to the DeWalt site and took a look at the DW746X

It looks similar to the one I just bought, a General. I know, different brand, but there's similarities. It's obvious that the fence and left & right extension wings are separate. The black plastic cover on the right side is no doubt a separate item, and the switch is certainly loose too. So what you're dealing with is the center yellow portion topped with the center cast iron piece. The motor and trunnions are attached to the top and hanging right under it. I'd guess the thing is about 175 lbs. Total weight is 254 lbs according to DeWalts website.

My nephews moved my saw into my basement and wanted to carry the thing themselves. I had to insist that they use the refridgerator dolly to take it down. It was really easy that way.

But my point is that with a couple of strong young guys, a saw like your DeWalt would be able to be manhandled into the basement.

A couple of guys once brought over a dryer that they carried on a sling that was draped over each of their shoulders. Maybe something like that could be done here if need be.

Reply to
George Max

I don't know why home builders don't consider their designs when it comes to getting things in and out. What do they think, furnaces and such last forever?

Reply to
George Max

Because home builders are interested in selling houses, not living in them. If home buyers were more discriminate, builders would stop the nonsense.

Mike

Reply to
upand_at_them

I wonder why my sister "allowed" the builder of her home to put the basement entry in a narrow hall in the center of the house. No way in hell is anyone getting anything serious down there.

The last time I toured a model home while considering having one constructed for wifey and I, I inquired about what I refer to as a "trap door." I know they're actually called something else, but when I was a boy, a lot of homes in the area I grew up in had a pair of exterior doors at an angle to the ground that provided access from outside directly to the basement. There was of course a door at the bottom of the steps in the actual basement wall (foundation).

The salesman looked at me as if I was crazy. Why would anyone want such a thing?

One of my closest friends had a house built for his family 2 years ago. It's a really nice house, except it too has basement entry in the center of the house and the stairs get about 1/2 way down then meet a foundation wall and turn to the left to reach the floor. How is one to bring much of anything in that way?

Narrow hallways, ill considered corridor placement and width, narrow entry doors, I just don't get why people accept this.

Especially in light of super restrictive HOA rules that may not allow the use of a garage for anything but car parking and preclude construction of an out building.

What's the world coming to?

Reply to
George Max

Bulkhead doors. They have the Bilco brand of outside doors on them for access.

We live in a bland society. Many people never go to the basement let alone do any serious work down there. Years ago, the basement was a place to do woodwork, make wine, do canning, repair appliances and of course, laundry. Today, it is used to store old video game cartridges and soccer knee pads. We accept Wonder bread so don't think buyers will have any more discriminate taste in home design.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If I'm to ever complete a transaction with a builder, he/she is gonna have to make lots of changes to suit the fact that among other things, I think a basement is additional living space. And if not that, certainly it's usable for more than video cartridge storage and a place for the boogey man to live.

Why is it that the people that don't want a basement simply build on a slab (SE Wisconsin)?

BTW, that subdivision my sister and her husband moved into looks like a scene from "The Stepford Wives." All look alike drab colors, cedar siding, ect. What's the matter with a litte variation - Colonials, Cape Cods, Tudors, ect.?

Reply to
George Max

Maybe "she" didn't "look" over the "plans"?

Mike

Reply to
upand_at_them

Code is the main reason why some things are done. Living spaces have an entirely different set of requirements than temporary use spaces. Alternate egress being chief among them.

It's cheaper to build on a slab, of course, but the need for 4' deep footings in frost country makes it worthwhile to go the other four and have a basement, though hybrid designs with ground-level access/egress are fairly common to save money and still get the space.

Don't use the basement for coal storage any more, of course. Our coal bin became dad's shop when we converted to gas.

Reply to
George

Beats me.

My wife and I life in the only house that isn't painted either completely white or white with a touch of some trim color on our block. The next block also has exactly one house that isn't predominantly white.

There seems to be a psychology at work here that I simply won't subscribe to.

baa-baa

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

I'm sure that's it. She and her husband were probably way too excited at having a new home built that this fact was overlooked.

In my case, such a thing is the first thing I'm looking at.

It's about priorities, isn't it? How best to get the jointer, TS and sheets of plywood down and up. And constructed projects out.

Reply to
George Max

Absolutely. Good idea. I'll ask for two ways in and out. Fortunately only 1 has to get the big stuff in and out.

That reminds me - I used to see that outline of a really large furnace on my basement floor. Something that was there and gone before I ever bought the place. I imagine it could have been a coal furnace since my house was built in 1941. But then I wonder where they were leaving the coal. There is no separate room in my basement, it's all one big space.

BTW, the reason I no longer see that outline is 'cause I painted the floor.

Reply to
George Max

I hear you. A little individuality is nice. We're not talking rusty old cars in the backyard, just something for personality.

Reply to
George Max

Three wire 12ga. Romex. Tacked in place with plastic wire staples in the rafters, and a plastic cover over the vertical drop to the recepticle. My shop is in the basement, so garage or commerical wiring requirements like conduit or MC wiring don't apply (at least, as far as I know)

Reply to
Prometheus

I dealt with this a couple of years ago. Got a Unisaw down my basement steps. We removed the cast-iron top. It comes right off with 4 large bolts, one in each corner. This not only gets rid of a lot of weight, but also gives you a few inches more clearance, and makes it less top-heavy. Also took off the height and tilt adjustment knobs (for more clearance).

With the top off, me and a buddy got it down the stairs on a hand truck. Putting it back together required re-aligning the top with the blade, but that wasn't that hard.

Reply to
Roy Smith