Baseball bats - Ash vs. Maple?

Page 3 of 3

On 9/22/10 7:45 AM, Steve Turner wrote:

When I got my lathe, one of the first things I did was make a bunch of drumsticks. I was a man on a mission, making sticks from every hardwood and exotic in my pile. I quickly learned that there was a good reason most stick makers have settled on oak, hickory, and maple to make their sticks, and cost is only part of the equation.
The sticks I made from anything but oak and maple (didn't try hickory), including a bunch of exotics like cocabolo, wenge, bubinga, padouk, ebony and others either snapped in a a couple minutes or left my hands feeling like I'd used a ROS for 7 hrs straight.
The pair I made from oak was the best feeling sticks I've ever played, but the other thing I quickly learned was that my time was much more valuable and it took me a lot longer than the stick companies to make a $4 pair of sticks. :-)
--

-MIKE-