Base cabinet for front-load washer?

Page 2 of 2
Not to worry. Front loaders do NOT WALK. Hell, they hardly move at all - the forces are entirely different.
Having said that, think of how a wood floor system is built - maybe 2 x 8 with a three-quarter inch sub-floor and tiled over and build that and trim out to match your cabinets. Don't over think it, Yes the washers are HEAVY, but the kid from our local Sears actually lifted it out to the truck for us! Boy, is he going to have back issues later on in life!
Get the pair - take your time - look for closeouts. We got the RED one for $39 (washer) and saw the Dryer go or $199! (Originally $1,100 each!
RimaNeas wrote:

Sounds like a plan. I have two suggestions:
1. Overbuild. A washer full of water is VERY heavy. Use screws, glue, and metal bracing.
2. Plan on a pull-out drawer in the base to store stuff.

Oh too funny... I had not even thought about the weight of water!! Lets see, a 4 cf washer can hold .11 cubic meter of water which comes in at another 220Lb... and if the dryer is full of wet heavy clothes. Yep, that's heavy. Thanks for pointing that out.
Cheers, Shawn
PS: I will also look up "Marine Fiddles"... thanks.
RimaNeas wrote:

Remember the ditty: "A pint's a pound the world around." Eight pints to a gallon = 8 pounds.
Or, 4cf washer = 4 x 7.5 gallons/cu ft = 30 gallons x 8pounds/gallon = 240 pounds
Don't forget the basket of dirty clothes sitting on TOP of the washer.

Absolutely... I just took 10% of 1 metric ton instead of the 11%.... then again the washer can only take 3.7 cuft so it all works out. Not much of a defense actually, since I had not even thought of the water weight originally :-)

Ummm...the 3.7 CF is the overall volume of clothes, not the volume of water. Read the specs on your machine - it'll tell you how much water it uses per wash, then divide that in two (wash/rinse) and you'll know the rough amount of water inside at a given time in the cycle.

Yes, my bosch front-loader doesn't have more than three gallons of water present at any one time. All the water is held by the clothing, very little is present in the drum. Certainly well below the level of the door.
These aren't the old front-loaders where the water level was at the top of the window on the door. You won't see the water level at all.
scott

We wear ten gallon hats - a hundred pound hat would just be too heavy.
wrote in message

We wear ten gallon hats - a hundred pound hat would just be too heavy.
******************
Shirley you jest sir,! I have heard that a lot of Yankees are big headed enough for a 100 pound hat
"George W Frost" wrote in message
Shirley you jest sir,! I have heard that a lot of Yankees are big headed enough for a 100 pound hat
=================="Yankee"???
Isn't that when you can't wait for a "nooner" and you are alone?
--
Eric

Eric wrote:

Could be. In this case, however, I'm sure "yankee" is the second and third syllable of the word whose use decorum discourages.
"HeyBub" wrote in message wrote in message >

Remember the ditty: "A pint's a pound the world around." Eight pints to a gallon = 8 pounds.
Or, 4cf washer = 4 x 7.5 gallons/cu ft = 30 gallons x 8pounds/gallon = 240 pounds
----------------------
Only in the USA
mike
On 7/5/11 6:35 AM, HeyBub wrote:

How's that any different from having a couple people standing close to one another?
--

-MIKE-

...while rhythmically bouncing. ;)
1. Overbuild. A washer full of water is VERY heavy. Use screws, glue, and metal bracing.
Nah. First off, a FL is NEVER "full of water." No where near it. (One of the selling points is that they use water sparingly).
The pull out drawer idea is a good one. When pulling clothes out of the washer, you may drop something - usually whites - and an open drawer to catch same . . . well, it's a good thing. I got a commercial base at Lowes for $25 (scratch and dent/closeout something like that) and stuck it under the old dryer (doesn't fit right, but) and it's work for a couple years now.
But I will build my own elevated double base when I move the units to their new location. Try a Torsion Box approach to the top of the new base. I'll bet one made of crossed half-lapped two by twos sandwiched between half-inch plywood on top and quarter-inch in the bottom would be more than sufficient for the 60-inch wide drawer approach. Use two by twelves along the rear and on each end and Elmer's or similar wood glue to bind all the members if the torsion top.
I've made similar torsion box "shelves" to hold large TV's using luan 5mm plywood and three quarter-inch white pine ribbs and it works marvelously - very strong, stable and light weight.