Barrel Grip vs Handle

I have been using the best jigsaw for years which is the Bosch

1587AVSK Top Handle Jigsaw. I went to a Rockler tool swap meet in San Diego and sold it for about 70% of what I paid for it. I did this so I could by their new jigsaw model Bosch 1591EVSK Barrel Grip. I have read some post on the differences between the two and it wasn't very clear if one is better than the other. Well IMHO the Barrel Grip is far better than the top handle model. I have been giving it a good workout for about 3 weeks and I like it for the following reasons. The control of the cut feels very natural and easy. With the top handle I was feeling like I had to over power the cut. With the barrel grip it is very responsive. When I make sharper turns it stays with me on the line.

And on a side note the new model is worth getting rid of the old on. I can change a blade in about 2 seconds. It feels like it tracks very straight. It doesn't want to wander at all. You definitely feel the additional power of this unit

Reply to
sdppm

Might take you up on that scenario. I change blades so infrequently on mine that I have to RTFM every time I do.

Reply to
Swingman

LOL, with practice you should be able to remove the blade even more quickly. When I want, I can usually have the blade out of my Milwaukee before the blade has coasted down to a stop.

Reply to
Leon

I'll second the recommendation to get the saw with the better blade change system. You actually change blades out when they get bent, broken , or worn rather than make do because of the old blade change hassle.

I'll try and remember to bring my saw over so that you can do the touchy feely thing. You'll be sold, instantly.

Reply to
Leon

I have the old top handle type and don't have any issues with its "feel." The blade changing is a PITA, but overall I like the saw.

Reply to
SWDeveloper

Barrel handle gets your hand(s) closer to the wood being cut - mo' bettah stabilitiy. BUT - the barrels on some are a bit to big for folks with smaller hands - like me.

Everyone seems to be going with quick change devices for blade changes.

Replacable zero clearance inserts are great at reducing or eliminating tear our on the up cut.

Dust extraction that works makes seeing the line as opposed to guessing where it is amidst the dust and chips.

Blade guides that keep it from deflecting - either to the side or back and twisting make a lot of difference in the cut.

Being able to move the foot back to do plunge type cuts is nice.

Where is the on/off switch and what kind is it? Triggers are nice - unless you're doing tight radiuses. Rocker switches are good - especially if it's spring loaded - push it almost anywhere and it goes off. Slide switches - ain't so good IMHO. You don't want to go searching around and futzing to turn the saw off when you want to.

I've got the Festool barrel grip pendulum saw. Gripes

- barrel a bit large for my hand, the sliding switch is kind of a pain in the ass. Not real fond of their shade of green either. But the blade guides, quick change blade device, dust extraction, selectable pendulum action (more swing, more aggressive the cut), variable speed and replaceable zero clearance inserts sure are nice to have.

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb