Barn wood

I got some barnwood, and I want to make a bookcase looking thing in my shop to put my old timey items on. Problem is, where I cut across the old wood, it exposes nice grain and color of hidden wood, and that doesn't go with the grey of the weathered wood. I know I can router a groove and hide a lot of it, but what do I do where I just can't hide it, and want it all to look like it's been weathered evenly? Some type of acid? Common cleaner? Vinegar? I'd guess the wood is either cedar or pine, most probably pine.
TIA
Steve

Barnwood Effects in Painting http://www.ehow.com/info_8678791_barnwood-effects-painting.html
Steve B wrote:

Steve, the easiest thing is to edge band the exposed wood with strips cut from wood with the grey platina. There is a product called "Old Growth" and here is a review of it
http://www.woodworking.org/WC/GArchive99/6_3oldgrowth.html
I have no idea if it is still available. I have some on hand but have not used it in years. It will age the wood, but the finished product does not look as good as the original and it changes the texture of the wood to the touch.
If you were really wanting to hide the edges totally, cut a "V" groove and your edge banding pieces to match and simply glue it up. Its a bit of work, but you wind up with the edges that are exactly the same color as the rest of the case.
Enjoy
Deb
On 2/4/2012 10:41 PM, Steve B wrote:

Well, it shouldn't be hard to determine whether it's cedar as opposed to pine... :)
Poster Dr Deb pointed to one way; w/ some effort you could, providing you have enough material, even make end grain banding for the exposed ends as suggested there.
Depending on just what you're making and after, an alternative would be to miter the corners to avoid having any exposed ends on the external casework/carcase.
On 2/4/2012 10:41 PM, Steve B wrote:

Slow but sure, exposure to sunlight. I will take about a year.

UV lamps might speed that up a whole lot.
http://tinyurl.com/7axe3rf More possibilities.
-- Energy and persistence alter all things. --Benjamin Franklin
On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 08:46:07 -0800, Larry Jaques

Cider Vinegar and steel wool will give you Ferrous Acetate? which gives you a grey colour - particularly on oak and cedar which have a higher Tannin or Tannic Acic content.
On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 16:25:39 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Someone once said lye will do it, with a vinegar neutralizer.
-- Energy and persistence alter all things. --Benjamin Franklin
"Leon" wrote

And if you are really creative..., you could create a little weather chamber. sun, rain, wind, etc. I am certain that you could age those edges on the boards in only 3 months! ;-)
"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
"Leon" wrote

And if you are really creative..., you could create a little weather chamber. sun, rain, wind, etc. I am certain that you could age those edges on the boards in only 3 months! ;-) ==========================================================================Of course, a good coat or two of paint will solve the problem.

I built a bar once for a friend who wanted it made out of barn wood. For the exposed edges, I browned (not blackened) them with a propane torch. Surprisingly, it turned out looking pretty good.