Barn Lumber

Is there any demand for old Barn Lumber anymore?

Thanks,

Walt Conner

Reply to
WConner

We see an occasional request or other comments here. Not a lot of projects.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

What kind of wood? What shape is it in? If there are large, solid chestnut beams, then definitely. If it's mostly rotton pine, obviously not. If there were someone in my area who was tearing down a barn made of some kind of hardwood in good condition, it would definitely be worth it for me to rent/buy a planer and a metal detector and "reclaim" some potentially nice lumber. Where are you located? If you have the barn and you're trying to get rid of/sell the lumber, you might advertise on your local craigslist or contact a local woodworking club. Andy

Reply to
Andy

I believe there is a big demand for certain types of woods. Even old log cabins are being bought, moved, and restored for big bucks. It all depends on the wood. I'd Google and start there.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I just sold 25 16'x16"x4.5" hem/fir beams from a barn for $1000. I thought they were worth at least twice that much, but $1000 was the best I could get in 6 months.

Good luck.

Reply to
Toller

I'm not sure if this applies but in Canada using old lumber for structural parts of a building is a big PITA. Your old beams would have to be examined by an engineer and certified sound before they could be used. That costs big bucks.

Reply to
jimmy

Yeah, but even as just project wood that is less than $.50 per board foot.

Reply to
Dave Hall

snipped-for-privacy@the.shoppe wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Do the US bureaucrats still whine that the Candians are dumping lumber? Read something about those sort of allegations being tossed around.

Reply to
R. Pierce Butler

Depends on who you ask- there's a local store here that sells nothing but barn lumber furniture at a huge markup. But I've never met anyone who paid money for it as lumber- usually it's aquired as an agreement between a couple of guys willing to do free demo work and a farmer.

Reply to
Prometheus

Reclaimed barn timbers have value. It may come in the form of a check in your pocket if it's "good wood" and it's stacked and ready for pick-up. It may also come in the form of free demolition if it's still part of a standing barn. And it may simply help offset the demolition costs, but not cover them fully. It all depends. Lots gets made into flooring these days. And some people pay a LOT of money for "knotty naily" staircases, cabinets, etc...

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

While we are on the subject of "a lot of money", check out:

> > >Is there any demand for old Barn Lumber anymore?

Reply to
SKW1983

So run it through a planer on four sides and it will be new wood. Even new wood comes from dead trees.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The lumber belongs to our eldest son. They just tore down an old barn in East/Central Illinois. Wood is cleaned and I think mostly Oak but I really haven't examined it. I intend to get some pcs. and run thru my planer to see what it looks like BEFORE I change blades. It is hard as heck. Some long full 2xs rough, Large truck load. No beams. He has advertised in Southern Illinois Trader and Indiana Trader for bids.

Walt Conner

Reply to
WConner

It has to have a grade stamp. Try buying one of those..:)

Reply to
jimmy

As a long time user of recycled wood, I suggest that you hit it with a shop vac, belt sander, shop vac, and metal detector. If you suspect metals, do the detector first. This process gets rid of the dirt and other impurities before you touch your blade to it. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn