Bar Building - Flamingo Lounge

I've agreed to fabricate and install a wooden foot rail on a friend's bar. Initially I thought he simply wanted me to intall a metal rail, but he now wants a "Jay Pique Original" or something like that.
I'm toying with the idea of slicing the weathered edge off of some oak barnwood, and finishing the freshly exposed surface - which will be the top of the rail. What I'm looking for is some type of bracket into or onto which said wooden foot rail will attach.
Any ideas?
JP ******************** Next on the list: blacksmithing.

I've been thinking a bit, and what I might do is take a spoke shave and round the ends to 1.5" so they'll fit into "standard" bar rail brackets. Maybe...
JP ***************** Too big...proportionally?

Don't know how big your piece of oak will be Jay, but there are common handrail brackets available at almost every hardware store. They're made to mount a handrail a couple of inches from the wall. If you need more than that you can look at places that supply bars - I'm sure you'd find like items there.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net