bandsaw users- bulk blade or?

Does the typical user buy their blade in bulk (100' roll) and braze them up or buy individual blades. I'm an infrquent user but have bought overly long blades when I couldn't find one locallly and braze it back to proper length . I suppose buying perhaps 3 or 4 rolls (different tpi) would be pricey if in order under theose circumstances.. Thanks Pat
If you are good at brazing then this is the way to go. I wish I had the time and skill to do it this way. In the long run, you will save money, I find that I can go thru blades quickly when cutting hardwoods. I prefer a fresh sharp blade to get cleaner cuts and spend less time sanding out the bandsaw marks left by dull blades. Hardwood end grain is murder to sand.
Tom .

patrick mitchel wrote:

is under $15 IIRC and they last for at least a year. The 14" x 1/2 isn't much more. Doesn't seem to be worth it to roll my own. If you're a production shop maybe the cost/benefit equation is different.     mahalo,     jo4hn
If you don't do a really good job it can affect the blade tracking, and applying heat might affect the blade temper. If you don't need to replace your blades frequently, I'd buy them already made.
patrick mitchel wrote:

The local saw blade guy makes them up for me when ever I need them. About $35 for the last one. 3/4" 4TPI lennox.
Dave

I don't know if I'm the typical user or not, but I don't weld and don't know any other bandsaw owners that do..
In my case, I only use a blade or 2 a month, so cost isn't a big factor... also, they are readily available at a saw shop close to home, which means that I have no reason to stock a lot of blades..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing