Bandsaw upper wheel play- normal?

I was looking at my Jet 16" bandsaw and I noticed that the upper wheel has some side play. I thought the upper wheel should only adjust vertically for tensioning, and pivot vertically for tracking. When I detensioned and took the blade off, it has a huge amount of horizontal movement. All I want to know is if that is normal. Thanks

Reply to
Mark Howell

Nope!

Reply to
max

I found the same thing with my Grizzly when I changed the tires last week. Looking at the design, it appears to be intentional.

Dick Durbin Tallahassee

Reply to
Olebiker

Nope. I have the same saw and the top wheel has no play. Call Jet, they respond very well to problems in my experience.

Dave

TeamCasa

If you have side play without tension, I'd guess that would be normal..

Any play while under tension would be a very big problem with tracking..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Have you left it under tension? It can damage bearings. They can be replaced, but it is a pain. Steve

Reply to
Steven and Gail Peterson