Bandsaw tires slipping

I am the (proud) owner of a new Grizzly 17" bandsaw, my first bandaw. I have Duginski's (sp?) book on bandsaws, and have the following problem. I unpacked the Grizzly, put it all together, and adjusted the tension, and thrust and guide blocks. At the tension recommended in the instructions (between 4-6 on its gauge), I handroll the wheels to set the tracking in the middle of the tire (a nice bright yellow, easily seen). I roll and roll it (10-20 rotations) and it works fine. By the way, I can't tell if the tires are coplaner, as the frame of the bandsaw is proud of each wheel plane by at least 1/2".

When I turn on the saw, it runs fine for anywhere from 5-30 seconds, with a nice hum from the saw. The sound changes, and I stop the saw. The blade is against the wheel (metal to metal), and the tire seems to have been squeezed out of its seat on the wheel. It is out of its seat, sometimes just a little, sometimes completely off. The tire has come off to the front and to the rear of the tire. I have adjusted tension both to the light side and the tight side of the gauge, and it still happens. Only the upper tire comes off; no change to the lower tire.

A prior posting to this NG commented that he (she?) put the bandsaw tire on with grunting and a couple of screwdrivers, like we all use to do with our bicycle tires. I have had no such difficulty putting on the tire; two thumbs and a little effort pushes the tire in place.

Is the tire a smidge too large? Should I try a little hot glue on the wheel? Call Grizzly and ask for a tighter wheel? Go for Carters' products?

Any and all ideas and comments appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
Greg

Did U call Tech Support at Grizzly yet? They are very helpful.

Reply to
Tom

Reply to
nospambob

had the same situation. I used HPL (formica) glue to fix it. been fine since. I don't think I'd use hot glue. any good contact cement should do. don't wait for the glue to dry- slide the tires on while the glue is slimy, get them straight and leave it for a day.

Reply to
bridgerfafc

Exactly. If your tires aren't loose when they're new, they eventually will stretch out. I'd get a new set and put them on per Grizzly's instructions. When the new ones become loose, glue 'em on and never look back.

Reply to
cgallery