Bandsaw - Tire Brush Addition

Page 2 of 2
looks like we've solved another space/storage problem
hang all your tools (including power tools) from the ceiling when not in use ;-)

Hey UA. Yes, I've had it installed for over a year and a half, and it hasn't moved a bit, tho I must admit that when I first installed it I watched it like a hawk to be sure it wasn't going to come loose and end up wrecking up the saw. In answer to Dan Valleskey's question, It works great. Never had to clean the tire.
Regards, Vince
--
Vince Heuring To email, remove the Vince.

Vince, thanks much. I dropped by Harbor Freight, pickup up the same magnet you're using for about 3 bucks, and have some old un-used dentist freebee brush in it now. Used a grinding wheel to quickly get it to the right shape. Looks pretty good. Can't really see it coming loose, but time will tell.
Dave

The article is interesting in that it contradicts some very basic tenets about band saw setup & operation.

Care to elaborate? (And no, I'm not looking to pick a fight. This sounds genuinely interesting.)
--RC
On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 23:16:31 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@TAKEOUTmindspring.com wrote:

I hope I'm not mistating anything:
1. The author uses the band saw with a 1/2 inch 3 tpi skip tooth blade for "just about " "everything" 2. 1/2 HP is more than enough for "big resawing tasks" on a 14" saw with a 1/2" 3 tpi blade; anything more than that "is overkill." In general, a 1/3 HP motor is enough otherwise. 3. Undertension the blade. 4. Set the fence once and leave it alone. Align the blade instead. 5. Use metal blocks with a clearance of .001 rather than the standard .003
GregP reposts:

I have got to find a copy of that article. After #1, the statements are not accurate without a lot of qualifiers, IMO. Actually, a 1/2" blade is not good for "just about" everything, either. I tried cutting some fairly modest curves on my machine with a 1/2" the other day. Pfui. #2, might be true in ideal conditions. Might not, too, with jarrah and ipe and hickory and hard maple. Undertensioning *some* blades works. With others, you get a barrel cut.
For #4, I'm still looking for a blade adjustment knob on my bandsaw. In oher words, WTF does this MEAN?
Block clearance: maybe. Some times. Some times not.
Charlie Self "A politician is an animal which can sit on a fence and yet keep both ears to the ground." H. L. Mencken
On 04 Jan 2005 09:53:41 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

It's "Five Tips for Better Bandsawing" by Michael Fortune on page 66 of the December 2004 issue of Fine Woodworking.

He does have some. There are probably other implicit ones that I didn't pick up on because I haven't used a band saw in 40 years. (I'm not arguing that he is right, by the way).

I'll quote a bit:
" Align the blade to eliminate drift
When I bought my bandsaw in 1974, I set the fence parallel to the miter gauge slot in the table and I haven't had to adjust it since. The reason is that I use the tracking adjustment on the upper bandsaw wheel to align the blade (see drawings on the facing page). A nightmare of fence adjust- ments ensues if each new blade is allowed to track differently. Simply be keeping the centerline of the blade (regardless of width) in line with the centerline of the upper wheel, I am able to keep the blade aligned correctly at the blade guides."
There's more on this.
proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:
nononono! the nylon will build up a static charge and cause an explosion in your PVC DC pipes.

That's a good one. Static charges can only build-up on surfaces that have no means of dissipating the charge. Unless one's shop has wiring "issues", the bandsaw is grounded through the plug.
Dave
vaguely