Bandsaw - Tire Brush Addition

Page 1 of 2
I have a 14 in. bandsaw, and am looking to add a brush to the lower wheel to help reduce sawdust build-up, per a tip from Fine Woodworking magazine. The article recommends a "stiff natural bristle" brush. Anyone have experience with using a nylon bristle brush? I'm thinking the article's mention of natural bristles might have something to do with friction heating the nylon bristles, but don't know for sure. Any thoughts? Stores in my area have a wide selection of nylon bristle brushes, but very few of the natural wood bristle type.
Dave
------snip-----

I, presently, have a nylon tooth brush mounted on mine. At first I had it mounted such that it overheated and melted a tad. I suspect if one were to use some natural, broom straws from an old wisk broom it might be better. Just bundle up a bunch the size of a dime and use epoxy on one end of the bundle. Trim and mount.
Larry
I have a bandsaw wheel brush from Iturra Designs that's nylon and I've had it for about a year with no noticeable wear or melting. But I don't know whether all nylon is the same.
(BTW, if you've got a bandsaw, give Iturra a call at 888-722-7078 and ask for a copy of their catalog of bandsaw accessories, it's well worth a read. I have no affiliation with them except as a satisfied customer.)

I called them two about 3 wks ago, I need to the catalog to order a new spring, two tires and cool blocks. They never replied!

I called them about 3 wks ago, I need the catalog to order a new spring, two tires and cool blocks. They never replied!

When I called for a catalog, it took forever to arrive, too (months, I think). But when I called to order (still waiting for the catalog), they helped identify what I needed and shipped my order in a reasonable time. I think that catalog requests are forwarded to a monk who produces them one at a time by hand.
PDX David
Do you know the prices for the following items...(for Grizzly G0555) 1. Tension spring. 2. Replace bearing guide to cool block guide. 3. Tires (require 2, what type?) Finally, do they have a website and do they sell BS saw blades?
Thanks, appreciate your reply.

Hello WD,
If these questions are directed to me I'm afraid my Iturra catalog is a few years old now so prices wouldn't be accurate. (besides I don't think I could find it :-)
They do sell BS blades. But I recommend calling them, telling them what saw you have, and getting their recommendation on what to buy. They are nice folks and really know their stuff.
PDX David
It would be nice to know the prices before calling them. I need a good bandsaw blade to finished resaw green lumbers. While at it I am might as well buy a few items I mentioned earlier.
Thanks,

FWIW you can buy the springs from other places (such as www.highlandhardware.com). You'll want the 3" spring; it runs $17. Tires can be obtained from places like Woodcraft.
I'm not sure how you would go about replacing the G0555 roller bearings with cool blocks.
Hope that helps.

The price is reasonable. Something like $6

Ditto, and Ditto!

My shop-made brush balance was made from a brass wire brush. You could buy a boar hair brush and cut it to fit.
Old - fashion scrub brush like the ones you used to GI the latrines. Two bunches across, two long, and the wooden block bolts in.

The
thoughts?

Step-by-step directions, using a toothbrush:
http://homepage.mac.com/heuring/PhotoAlbum4.html
--
Vince Heuring To email, remove the Vince.

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 11:52:24 -0700, Vince Heuring
That link comes back with: We're sorry, but we can't find the HomePage you've requested. It's possible that: ...

Sorry about that, here's the correct link:
http://homepage.mac.com/heuring/Workshop/PhotoAlbum4.html
Regards, Vince
--
Vince Heuring To email, remove the Vince.

ah- but how well did it work? I had a similar arangement for a while, I was unimpressed. Of course, cheapskate that I am, I used a "used" tooth brush.
-Dan

Vince Heuring wrote:

Hey Vince, I should probably pay attention better but..
So, does the Harbor Freight magnet hold everything in place? I like the idea onna 'count of I have a no drilling clause with most of my machines.
Also, it involves magnets.
UA100, who keeps a hand full of magnets on hand for all sorts of useful reasons...
HF sells those big welding magnets; if there's room in the cabinet, they would probably hold.
Do a search on 'magnet'. The pull retrieving ones that are 100#, 150#, or 250# ought to work. Those go onsale for 50% off sometimes. The 250# looks to be flat so it might just fit in the cabinet.

coloradotrout wrote:

Yahbut, the band saw is directly below the bat tub and I'm afraid I won't be able to pull it back down from the ceiling.
UA100