bandsaw specs

I have a 14" bandsaw. I embarassed to say that I don't know what that means. Will someone please enlighten me? Thanks, John
John wrote:

AFAIK the 14" equals the amount of saw that it is possible to expose - not the amount of saw it is possible to use for cutting. 14" bandsaws have at least a 3/4 HP induction motor instead of the small universal motor found on jigsaws. This allows the bandsaw to cut through THICK stock, up to 6 or more inches thick. I don't know what the max thickness is for a 14" bandsaw.
Josie
AFAIK, the 14" measures the distance from the blade to the column that supports the upper wheel. The depth of material that can be cut is different on each saw, and some can take an extension to raise the upper wheel assembly to increase this depth of material.
Duginske's book The Bandsaw Handbook is a good starting point ((Amazon.com product link shortened)05472811/sr1-3/ref=sr_1_3/002-1317500-4168826?v=glance&s=books)
Clint

at
My 14" Rockwell has a 1/2HP motor that resaws 6" hardwoods well as it doesn't have the riser. The 14" refers to the diameter of the wheels.
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 14:11:40 -0500, "firstjois"

14" wheel diameter
This translates into an "almost" 14" throat capacity.
-Steve

That's it.

I thought I posted this question a few days ago but I haven't seen appear. So, I'll try again. I have a 14" Grizzley Bandsaw. What does the 14" signify? I can't saw a 14' thickness so what does it mean? Thanks for any info. John

you got lots of replies, including several with the correct answer: the 14" is the wheel diameter.