Bandsaw resawing question

Well I could just experiment, but as there seems to be a vast amount on knowledge and experience here.

I am going to resaw some of the walnut cut offs to make some boxes.

I have a Delta wood and metal cutting bandsaw, would using the gearing and slower speed in the metal cutting mode be better? If so how many fps should the saw be set at to start the experiment?

Mark (sixoneeight) = 618

Reply to
Markem

The slower speed certainly would result in slower cutting. I would go with the fastest and or around 3000 fpm.

Reply to
Leon

Whats the advantage of the faster rate over the slower one? I'm a a beginner.

Go with the faster speed and a 1/2" blade. The faster speed will cut faster and not strain the motor as much. Let the blade do the cutting and don't push to hard.

Reply to
tdup2

Thanks Leon the experiment has gone well, I recently acquired a Wood Slicer 1/2 inch blade. With the new spring, cool blocks taking time to set it up. I even have a nice 1/16 inch piece of unintended veneer, as well some nice 3/8 sides for a nested box setup.

It is the tools ain't it.

Mark (sixoneeight) = 618

Reply to
Markem

Hopefully someone will answer that, but slower cutting speeds in the metal cutting mode makes it easier to control the material. More torque through gearing on my bandsaw. Fast though was the way to go, thanks again Leon.

Mark (sixoneeight) = 618

Reply to
Markem