Bandsaw recommendations

Page 2 of 2
Gerald Ross wrote:

I have about the worst 14" bandsaw ever sold (Reliant) and it too has a round bar with a flat; however, I don't have to readjust the guides after moving it because - if necessary - I swivel it to position the guides properly after raising/lowering it and before tightening it. Once the locking screw is tightened, there is no way it is going to turn.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 02:38:42 +0000, notImpressed wrote:

I've got the 14" Rikon with the 13" resaw capability and am quite pleased with it. I've had it for a few years now. But it is expensive compared to a 14" with the normal 6" resaw.

notImpressed wrote:

What you did not say was exactly what you planned on doing with it. If you want something to do general bandsaw work, I would recommend the HF 14" with a WoodSlicer blade from Highland Hardware. They used to sell a riser block, which I have, for it to give it a 12" to 13" resaw capability.
If they no longer sell the riser block, get a riser block from Grizzly, they are essentially the same machine.
On the other hand, if you want to use it to slice 1/16" veneer from exotic hardwoods, get a Laguna or one of the other high dollar items.
In either case, get the WoodSlicer blade - there just isn't any better. I have tried, Olson, Timberwolf, and Carter, the Woodslicer wins hands down.
Deb

Something to think about is that of dust collection. Some use a pathetic 2" port screwed on to the door with the intent of checking a box on a list. Cutting a 12" path through a 12" long log produces a lot of sawdust, and it's got to go somewhere. Dust often collects on the tires and causes vibration.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

"Puckdropper" wrote

*Is* there a bandsaw on the market that has effective dust collection?
Max
Sure, Laguna has what I think is a great system. I just don't own it. Wish I did.
On 3/14/2012 2:48 PM, Max wrote:

On 3/14/2012 1:48 PM, Max wrote:

Define effective. If you mean to capture 90% of the dust, yes, my Laguna LT16HD falls in that range with a 1100 CFM DC.
Resawing wider boards is the the toughest to collect since much of the dust becomes trapped inside the wide cut.