Bandsaw quick release

I have a 1940 Delta 14" which has been restored and works like a dream. Any comments on the Carter quick release addon? Using the saw a lot it seems like a good idea or is it one of those nice to haves? Thanks
******
Phil
On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 17:50:44 +0200, Phil H wrote:

This took a day to appear and in the meantime I posted the question again. Sorry about that. Will have to be more patient.
******
Phil
Phil H wrote:

Can't comment on the Carter quick release because I'm too cheap. Instead, I replaced the knob and rod with a piece of all thread rod and put a crank on the top instead of a knob. Three turns and it is tight, or vice versa.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

That's similar to mine and it works great. Made a crank from pallet wood and did not permanently modify the Delta drill press in any way. Wasn't about to spend $140 on a quick release.

Any chance of you posting a picture of your adaptation?

Two pics posted in ABPW

I have a version of this http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID 99
Works easily. I use four turns to relieve tension, then put four turns back when needed.

Get the Iturra catalog - They have several options - including the Carter.
I have a quick-release on the Jet Deluxe - it's nice, but the Carter might be better. My Jet version just "loosens" the blade - it does not release it. I always loosen the tension when finished. It's qucik and easy.
Thanks for the replies. Will go the make my own crank route.
******
Phil

I didn't see this amidst all the spam, and I'll admit that given my druthers I'd go with a handmade version.
However, I have a to-do list that's a few miles long and last year I unexpectedly came into a sum of money that got my bills paid up, some to save, and some splurge money left over. So I bought a Carter quick release.
It was fairly easy to install although I did have to do some drilling and finagling. Once done it did exactly what it was supposed to, and having that big red handle sticking up like a flag is an easy way to reassure myself that I remembered to release the blade.And it makes changing the blade easy.
I still think it's too expensive. The purchase was an unashamed splurge. I should have bought something less of a luxury. But it is one of the things I don't regret buying, use all the time, and it after way over a year still feels very solid. If I want to kick myself over spending too much money on something I don't need, I have to look for somewhere else.
I don't have to look far, just somewhere else.
On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 09:21:16 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

I hate it when that happens! <G>
A knob or spinner kit will do the same for half the money and doesn't require any mods to saw. Get a Iturra spring and the spinner wheel and really help the saw and yourself out.
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID 01 http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdIDV20
Phil H wrote:

For me, having a quick release is a must have. It was the first feature I looked for on the two bandsaws I own. When I use one of the saws, I want to just pull the lever to set the tension and then make the cuts I need to. When I'm through using the saw, I just push the lever the other way and I'm done. No need to remember how many turns it takes to put the tension on, or how many turns to undo it.
From what I've seen, the Carter quick release costs about $155. If you don't mind the cost, I'd say go for it as it makes the process of adding and removing tension on the blade a simple, quick and painless process.

remove ".invalid".
On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:21:20 -0500, "Michael Faurot"

I will go the extended crank route first but your 'having used one' comments are noted. Thanks
******
Phil