Bandsaw question.

Sorry, but it's silly question time!

I'm puzzled by Americans' references to their bandsaws as 14-inch, 16-inch etc. My bandsaw has a 1400mm blade (about 55 inches) and max throat height is

80 mm (just over 3 inches), so what is the 14 inches referring to? I checked the spec of the "Delta 28-248 14inch" but can see no 14inch measurement.
Reply to
Bob Martin

The measurement is refering to the wheels diameter. This picture show a 16 inches bandsaw. The width of cut is 15 1/2 (because of the space lost for the blade guard) and the cutting heigh is 9 inches.

Stephane Bourque

"Bob Martin" a écrit dans le message de news: DEIGe.9211$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe5-win.ntli.net...

begin 666 bandsaw.JPG M_]C_X `02D9)1@`!`0$`8 !@``#_X0`617AI9@``24DJ``@```````````#_ MVP!#``@&!@

Reply to
SBO

Wheel diameter. This is the real fundamental limit on how well a large or small machine can work.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Thanks, Andy, mine is a measly 8 inches - does that make it a toy ? :-)

Reply to
Bob Martin

Depth. The throat height is usuallly a little shorter than that. With a 14" bandsaw, you can run 14" of material between the blade and the frame.

For example, I've got a little Delta 9" bandsaw (59.5" blade)- the tallest piece I can cut is somewhere between 4" and 6", but the widest piece I can cut (inside the saw, obviously the width is unlimited on the outside) is 9"- a little less if using the fence.

It'd be pretty slick if the height were 9", though :)

Reply to
Prometheus

Reply to
nospambob

Bob Martin wrote in news:rJKGe.9508$Aw4.7071 @newsfe5-win.ntli.net:

Not necessarily. It does make it difficult to take on larger work, however.

That said, the limits I tend to hit are the max vertical cutting height. What your machines important limits are depends on what you are taking on.

A pro woodworker of note, whose shop I recently visited, had four bandsaws. The largest was a 36" (wheel-diameter) Euro beauty. There is no way he would use that for everything, though.

The right tool, etc..

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

If you are talking other equipment, 8" is real working tool but it is still nice to have it played with like a toy.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Depends on what you want to do with it. I originally got a 9" Delta because I wanted to make my own plane totes. If you do turnings, you can make turning blanks up to the thickness that your blade will cut, the throat depth doesn't matter. This'll probably be about 4" on an 8" BS but that makes a fair bowl and is certainly deep enough for any platter. I figured that if I made 4-6 totes, I'd made my money back from buying the BS.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

I stand corrected- must have just matched the throat depth on my machine. Couldn't figure it out when I bought the sucker either, so I just measured until I got something that matched the 9" label, and throat depth fit the bill!

Reply to
Prometheus

They generally will - throat depth is the wheel size, less the odd 1/4" for the LHS blade guard.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The obligatory response having been taken care of, the problem with smaller bandsaws is the blade. You're in a compromise position with blades anyway, what with wanting flexibility and toughness to bend around the wheels, and teeth hard enough not to simply bend as they hit the work.

Smaller bandsaws go through blades faster than big ones because of metal fatigue .

Reply to
George

Basically the size of the wheels - or sometimes the distance from the blade to the frame. Has NOTHING to do with depth of cut or bladelength

John

Reply to
john

don't fret, Bob.. size isn't everything...

it looks really silly, seeing someone put an 1/8" blade on a 16" bandsaw and try to make small stuff.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis