BandSaw Question

John Carlson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I'd like to second your suggestion on the Olson blades. I bought one locally when I broke my last Timberwolf (Olson was the only brand available without going mail order). I've been surprised at how good a blade the Olson is. Fine value.

Cheers, Nate

Reply to
Nate Perkins

I also read the reviewed on FWW, I went ahead and bought Timberwolf's blades with the recommendation of folks here. Timberwolf blades were really disappointing even after replacement from Timberwolf. I than tried LV Viking which, I believe a repackage of Timberwolf and I am not impress at all. My next purchase will be an Olson "normal" or Olson Pro, which cost less than Timberwolf and Viking.

Reply to
WD

You need to be careful, folks here who love Timberwolf will not be happy if you praise Olson instead of Timberwolf. BTW did you know Olson made two type of blades: Olson and Olson All-Pro, have t you try the cheaper ones?

Thanks

Reply to
WD

I purchased my first Olson All-Pro blade to fill out an order enough to justify shipping. After using it for preparing blanks for turning for a while, I placed my annual order to Suffolk again for their fine, efficient and long-working blade which is worth the modest price difference to me.

Reply to
George

Interesting. Read the review and bought a Woodslicer because of the rating. I'm going back to Timberwolf or the LV equivalent.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"To each his own" :-)

Happy New Year, and may your Timberwolf's blades bring you further the pleasure of woodworking for years to come (on offence intended).

Reply to
WD

What problems have you have with them ?

Reply to
GregP

What was your beef with the Woodslicer, Ed?

David

Reply to
David

It cut OK, but I think the Timberwolf tracked better, straighter. It is not a "bad" blade, but I think I got better results with the other. Could also be the way I work, be that good or bad.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 07:28:43 -0600, WD vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

I would be interested to know exactly what went wrong.

Reply to
Old Nick

I bought two blades, and tested only one. It make a "tumbling" sound, you can see the blade moving in and out slightly, even after repeated adjustment. When I called, to tell the of the trouble. They send one replacement blade, and told me not to throw the blade as they might want it back. The replacement blades does not fair any better. It's like sawing the lumber using (metal) hacksaw.

Reply to
WD

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 05:22:12 +0800, Old Nick vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

S'OK. Read your other reply. Sounds like it was not welded straight or something, if other blades did not do this..

Reply to
Old Nick

WD wrote in news:sExBd.192$ snipped-for-privacy@fe39.usenetserver.com:

Heh heh.

Well, I like Timberwolf, too. Not trying to diss the Timberwolf, nossir. I was just surprised that the Olson was as good as it was being so cheap.

If I recall correctly the Olson was something like $13 locally for a 3/8" wide 4tpi 105" blade. So my guess is that it was one of the cheaper ones.

Reply to
Nate Perkins

I hate to be a dissenter but based on all the praise, I just bought two TW blades and found them to work fine but certainly not enough better to warrant twice the price. Belive it or not, the best blade I have is a Vermont American 1/4" 6tpi. I have a couple of Olsons too and find all to be about the same. The only one I would say I thought was garbage was the

3/8" blade that came with the Grizzly and the one that came with the riser kit.

Don

Reply to
D. J. Dorn

I just ordered eight blades (4 for the price of 3) from Suffolk, where are you dropping your bucks?

For example 3/8 x 105 @ 17.41 * 3 = 52.23 = 13.05 each for the four.

Reply to
George

I wasn't aware of the four for three deal. I bought two with one being slightly under $18 and one being a little over. Not exactly twice, but not enough better in my opinion to warrant the extra cost - (if you don't do the same deal you did).

Don

Reply to
D. J. Dorn

Well I figured that metal would generate less friction than wood, but seeing as the whole point of the blade is to cut through wood I guess it doesn't matter :)

Reply to
damian penney