BandSaw Question

Page 1 of 2
So for Christmas I was the lucky recipient of the Grizzly G0555 Bandsaw. I've never used a bandsaw before but I noticed that when making cuts, resawing a 2x4 for example, the blade leaves a series of ridges, wondering if this was normal or whether I have something setup incorrectly. I'm just using the blade that came with it.
First issue: blades included with mass market BS always SUCK. Pick up an Olson, Timberwolf, or better yet, Woodslicer blade. Make sure to get the proper blade for the job. There's lots of info at www.suffolkmachinery.com/.
Second: the results won't ever be as smooth as what comes off a TS with a quality blade.
David
damian penney wrote:

Okay fair enough, on my table saw I have a WoodWorker II blade so I'm used to getting glassy cuts. Also when cutting do you expect it to cut with a 'throb' ?

I've noticed a throb when using a finely tuned saw :-) But that's probably not what you mean.
The throb is likely the blade splice weld as it passes the workpiece or blade guides. Sounds like a lesser quality band.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

That'll spoil ya'.

No, not really. In my case I heard something like that and got the ridges in the cuts before I learned to adjust my fence for blade drift.
Check out the November/December 2004 "Fine Woodworking" for an article called "Five Tips for Better Bandsawing". Lots of useful info there.
--
Charles Jones ( snipped-for-privacy@frii.com)
Loveland, Colorado

The blade that came with my G0555 had a LOT of "lead", or drift. Right now I have the riser kit and a Griz 3/4" 3TPI blade that cuts straight to the fence w/o any fence adjustment.
--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

Sounds like a not-so-perfect weld. You'll be pleasantly surprised how much better the BS performs with a quality blade. You can try carefully cleaning up the weld if it's thick, but if it's crooked you'll need to replace it.
David
damian penney wrote:
snip
Also when cutting do you expect it to cut

Pretty much. A better blade will give a smoother cut. I mostly use Timberwolf blades (Suffolk Machinery), but the Woodslicer blades from Highland Hardware are said (in magazine reviews) to produce a smoother cut.
I've not really noticed the "thrumming" that you mention in another post. I've had an occasional "tic-tic" sound from my saw, that was due to either a bad weld in the blade or a (user-induced) kink in the blade.
On the G0555, be careful not to set the side bearings too close to the teeth -- lots of us G0555 users have ruined a blade that way.
Cheers, Nate
Well the first time I set it up the blade did decide to run itself into the bearings, fixed that though, then there was some rubber on the cuts, looking at the wheels they didn't look scored at all though, that went away pretty quickly though. So now I guess I've just ruined the already poor blade on it. I'll order a new one and see how that goes. Thanks for all the info.
Those ridges, if they're not too extreme, are normal. A bandsaw doesn't cut as smooth and clean as a table saw. That 90-inch long skinny strip of steel that forms the blade is nowhere near as rigid as the 10 inch disc of a TS blade. And at $15-20 for a blade with 300 or more teeth, you don't get the same precision as a $80-100 TS blade with 40 teeth.
That said, some blades are better than others and the one that came with the saw is probably a cheapie. I like the (good and reasonably priced) Olson All-Pro blades for everyday use, and the (very good but expensive) Highland Hardware Woodslicer for critical resawing. Lots of folks here swear by Timberwolf blades but I find them overpriced and unimpressive. As always, YMMV. Fine Woodworking reviewed about a dozen different BS blades not too long ago (a year?); you might want to see if you can find a copy of that issue at the local library.

[snip]
Do you use an on-line source for these?

No, I buy them at a local fine-tool emporium. But a google search for "olson all pro" turns up a number of on-line sources. -- jc Published e-mail address is strictly for spam collection. If e-mailing me, please use jc631 at optonline dot net

Hi John,
I'd like to second your suggestion on the Olson blades. I bought one locally when I broke my last Timberwolf (Olson was the only brand available without going mail order). I've been surprised at how good a blade the Olson is. Fine value.
Cheers, Nate
You need to be careful, folks here who love Timberwolf will not be happy if you praise Olson instead of Timberwolf. BTW did you know Olson made two type of blades: Olson and Olson All-Pro, have t you try the cheaper ones?
Thanks

if you

of
available
I purchased my first Olson All-Pro blade to fill out an order enough to justify shipping. After using it for preparing blanks for turning for a while, I placed my annual order to Suffolk again for their fine, efficient and long-working blade which is worth the modest price difference to me.

Heh heh.
Well, I like Timberwolf, too. Not trying to diss the Timberwolf, nossir. I was just surprised that the Olson was as good as it was being so cheap.
If I recall correctly the Olson was something like $13 locally for a 3/8" wide 4tpi 105" blade. So my guess is that it was one of the cheaper ones.
I hate to be a dissenter but based on all the praise, I just bought two TW blades and found them to work fine but certainly not enough better to warrant twice the price. Belive it or not, the best blade I have is a Vermont American 1/4" 6tpi. I have a couple of Olsons too and find all to be about the same. The only one I would say I thought was garbage was the 3/8" blade that came with the Grizzly and the one that came with the riser kit.
Don

I just ordered eight blades (4 for the price of 3) from Suffolk, where are you dropping your bucks?
For example 3/8 x 105 @ 17.41 * 3 = 52.23 = 13.05 each for the four.

nossir.
cheap.
3/8"