Bandsaw question

Is a European bandsaw such as a Laguna, really worth twice as much as a same sized and powered Taiwanese bandsaw?

Sometimes it is and sometimes it is not. Is a Cabinet saw really worth the extra cost over a bench top TS? If you are going to be using the Laguna regularly and often, yes, it is worth the extra cost. If you are going to only use it on weekends it may be considered more of a luxury tool.
I recently purchased a Minimax MM16 and have not regretted it for a second. If you take close look at the Minimax and Laguna, you'll see that there is a huge difference in quality. If you're going to do resawing or be using the saw a lot I would definitely go with a european saw.
I would aslo recommend the Minimax over the Laguna. It has more iron and is beefier than the Laguna (in my opinion). And the Laguna sales staff is arrogant and often unhelpful. Minimax has been a pleassure to deal with.
Leon wrote:

Leon wrote:

saw and still feel it was a fine piece of equipment and it did everything I asked. However, after lurking here quite awhile and reading Leon's posts, I decided a cabinet saw was in order - I also determined based on his posts that a left tilt would be preferable for me.
After I had it for just a few weeks, I decided that I probably didn't need it and found the left tilt awkward as I was used to a right tilt. Now, a year and half later, I love this saw and love the left tilt and have come to see it's many advantages. I enjoy it everytime I turn it on.
What does this have to do with a bandsaw - I say go for it if it won't break the bank. Working with high quality tools is a pleasure in itself, not just what they can do for you. It hurts the pocket temporarily but if you can swing it, you have a tool for life that you will take great pride in owning - long after the money is forgotten.

I don't have a laguna but I do have a minimax mm16 (which are on sale right now fwiw).
Yes, it is definately worth the price difference. I had a taiwanese band saw before the minimax.
Best decision I've made yet to replace it. SH
I purchased the Jet 16 inch bandsaw and I love it. It is designed like the european saw, ie. no riser block, but it does have 10+ iches of resaw capacity. I had a jet 14 with the riser block for several years and worked it to death...
cheers john

-
On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 10:29:56 -0700, "JuanKnighter"

Definitely. I owned a Taiwanese-clone of a Delta 16" bandsaw and found it lacking in many areas especially precision. I spent countless hours tuning that saw with only above-par results ultimately. I spent $400 total on that saw. I eventually sold the saw.
Recently, I acquired a used 20" Centauro bandsaw for $650. It needed some TLC to remove years of rust through neglect and bring it back to peak performance. But the results are great. Well worth the money.
I have never used the less expensive bandsaws but I presume that they have a rubber cover over the wheels. Most of the time the rubber is higher in the middle which causes the blade to move over to one side as it runs. You might try flattening the rubber with a little sandpaper to get the narrower blades to stay in the middle.

The crown in the rubber tires is suppose to be there. It helps the blade track correctly. The blade will naturally track to the high point of the crown, all things being adjusted properly. Belt sanders use the same technique to keep the belt tracking in the center of the rollers.
Yes. I have a Craftsman belt sander with virtually no crown and the gouge marks in the frame to prove it. :)

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 13:19:32 GMT, "Leon"

Probably the crown on the tires is worn out from always using wider blades, the narrow blade is riding on a small flat spot.
That's called a crown. Without it, or some other tracking system, the blade will come off.