Bandsaw purchase

I am considering the purchase of an 18" bandsaw for both resawing and cutting moderately sharp curves. Knowing I can get a Jet for <$875, does anyone have any other suggestions or comments? Clif
I have had an 18" Jet for about three years. Very satisfied and that sounds like a pretty good price.
The lower blade guides can be a bit of a stinker to adjust but you'll catch on.
Ron

Clif wrote:

Woodcraft is supposed to start carrying the Rikon line in another month or so. The Rikon 18" saw got a best buy rating a couple of months ago in Fine Woodworking. One of its winning characteristics is ease of changing blades.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
How are you getting an 18" Jet for under 875? dave

I almost asked the same question but remembered I got mine for less. When I purchased mine the floor prices was $1019. A local tool store runs annual fall sales where they:
1) Apply the Jet Bucks promotion ($30 for every $300 in value... 2) Take 10% off the post Jet Bucks price. 3) Forgive the local sales tax.
I think I rolled my out of the door for around $880 with a mobile base. If you have these kinds of sales you can save some real money.

not sure if budget is a big issue, but if it's not, the minimax is a beautiful machine. i love mine.
good luck,
--- dz
Clif wrote:

Ditto. SH

I'd like to know where you can get an 18" jet bandsaw for 875.00? All prices i've seen were 1199.00. You might want to check out: http://www.wilkemachinery.com /
You may be looking at an 18" Jet bandsaw, but check out the resaw capacity. I ended up with a 17" saw from Wilkey ( http://store.wilkemachinery.com/ ), which has a higher resaw capacity, and have been very happy with it so far.
If you have some extra change laying around the house, check out the Laguna ( http://www.lagunatools.com/ ) line of bandsaws. Call them and they'll send you a video. Nice machines, but kinda pricey for the everyday woodworker.

That's a good price, I paid about $925 in Dec 01. I'm pretty happy with it. As others have noted, the lower guides are hard to adjust as-is. But, rip of the lower blade guard piece-o-junk metal (should not have your hands down there anyway) and make a custom "short" hex key, and swap one of the bolts for a longer one. Then it's really easy to adjust the lower guide. "Don't fight it, modify it"
Barry Lennox.