Bandsaw Problems

I'm hoping someone might have some advice.
I recently purchased a Ridgid Bandsaw, and am experiencing problems with the rubber strips on the wheels. After installing a 1/2 blade for some minor resawing, when applying proper tension, (according to the scale on the back) the rubber bands track off the wheel, and jam against the frame.
I'm wondering if they need replacement? (they have less than 1/2 hr use) or if maybe the scale is reading wrong? (Too much tension?)
Thanks. Mike

They shouldn't come off. Most bandsaw tires are a bear to install, so they won't do what yours are doing.
I'd call for warranty service and get some wheels with correctly installed tires.
Barry
"MikeMac" wrote in message

the
back)
or
Sight unseen it's just a guess, but it sure sounds like the wrong size tires for the band saw wheels. In any event, tension should not cause this and it warrants a call to customer/warranty service.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05
Swingman wrote:

Sounds like a made in China deal.
Walt Conner
Hi,
In addition to what the others have said DO NOT trust the tension scale on ANY bandsaw. The spring wears over time, blades are different from manufacturer to manufacturer and model to model, etc. etc.
Iturra Designs (1-888-722-7078) sells several blade tension meters. Getting one is a good investment. They're also working on an inexpensive tension meter that most of us can afford. Don't know if they've come out with it yet.
Aside from using a tension meter I've been using the "pluck" method. But, instead of listening for a particular musical "note" I listen for a certain quality of the sound. First I clear the guides, then I turn the tension knob while plucking the blade till I hear it go from a loose "twang" to a nice tight "ping". Then I tighten the knob about a half turn. This gets it pretty close. This method works best for low tension blades like Timberwolf and not so good for high tension baldes like Lennox.
The flutter method is useless in my opinion. It's just as good as using the tension scale.
Hope this helps,
Layne

I'm wondering if the wheel is so out of allignment the the blade "roots" the tires off? Turn the wheels by hand and make sure the blade is centered on the tires. Something is sure screwed up. Jim