Bandsaw Making Loud Noise!

Hi,
My 15" Grizzly bandsaw is screaming; literally screaming and when I'm not cutting. The sound is just like a dull blade ripping rock maple; a high pitch scream.
I tried to narrow down the location (upper wheel, lower wheel, blade guides) but it gets so loud, it just eminates from the whole machine.
I usually use TimberWolf blades although right now I have a generic one on the saw. It's a blade from a company I've dealt with for 8 or 9 years and they are good, never had a problem with the blades. Since this sound happens when I'm not cutting, I tend to discount the blade.
Any thoughts? Thanks, Ruth
Woodturners Logo My shop and Turnings at http://www.torne-lignum.com
Ruth,
first I'd back off the blade guides, if it continues, remove the blade and try again. Check the blade for damage or rubbing. My guess is a bearing has gone or a piece of offcut has fallen and is rubbing somewhere. Also, check the set on the teeth.
You may also try turning off and unplugging the machine, then turning the wheels by hand.
Greg

Does it make noise with no blade? If so, it is the motor or wheel bearing.
Turn the top wheel by hand. Any noise?
If OK so far, the guides or bearings are next to check. Back them off and bring them back one at a time.
Or try reversing this order to see if it goes away. Ed
check that the pulleys are tight to the shaft

Follow all the tuneup steps in Duginski's Bandsaw book. If you don't have this book, buy it. My bandsaw "screams" when the blade rubs against the guide wheels but a slight adjustment corrects the problem.
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 06:12:12 -0500 (EST), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Ruth) wrote:

Thanks, guys, for the suggestions and input.
I've eliminated the blade being the problem; I removed the upper blade shield and backed off the guides. I tried loosen the blade and tightening, no effect on the sound.
I have two-step pulleys and tried the belt on both, still screamed. I am using a link belt and brushed it out as best I could between the pulley spokes and wiped out the pulley groove; still screamed.
I think it's either the shaft to the lower wheel or from the motor. When I took the belt off the noise seemed to subside, but wouldn't the pressure of the belt affect both the wheel shaft and the motor shaft? Loosening the bolts on this sucker is no easy task for a mere woman......you guys are very lucky to have shear muscle power! : )
Thanks for your time and patience.
Ruth
Woodturners Logo My shop and Turnings at http://www.torne-lignum.com
Ruth,
I'll bet even money it's your thrust bearing. The reason I'm thinking this is because you mention that the noise only happens when you're NOT sawing. Back off your thrust bearing a bit and see if that helps. I'm thinking your thrust bearing is adjusted too close to the blade. When you're *not* sawing the thrust bearing shouldn't be spinning. It should only spin when you're sawing. If you've been using your bandsaw with the thrust bearing adjusted so it's touching the blade while you're not sawing for a while it could've prematurely worn out the thrust bearings. This might explain the loud noise you're experiencing while not sawing. When you saw more pressure is applied to the thrust bearings and the noise stops.
Hope this helps,
Layne
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 09:26:40 -0500 (EST), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Ruth) wrote:

Layne wrote:

As reported in "rec.crafts.woodturning" Ruth has found the problem. The blade guard was rubbing inside the upper cover.
On 15-Nov-2003, (Layne) wrote:

Interestingly, at a recent woodworking show, the "How To Set Up A Bandsaw" seminar featured a speaker who said this is no longer relevant. With older bearings, it was undesirable to have it touching. However, with modern bearings, they can spin all the time without problems. He recommended that they be set to touch the blade. If it makes noise, replace it.
He also pointed out that the method of coiling a bandsaw blade as shown in Duginske's book is wrong - never hold it on the floor with your foot. He showed how to do it holding the blade in the air. Impossible to explain, you have to see it.
Mike
If i were in your shoes, since you have discounted the blade, I would take the blade off the machine, then spin the upper wheel by hand and listen for a noise, if not that then turn the bandsaw on for a brief moment and listen for the noise. I am guessing its a bearing problem on one of the wheels. Once you located which wheel it is then proceed to consult your owners manual to take the wheel off and inspect for ruined parts.
By the way you have turned some nice bowls.
Leo

I have found that the bearings Grizzly uses are less than good quality. If you find the problem is a bearing, get the letters/numbers off the bearing and do a google search or check with a local bearing supplier, asking for better quality bearings. E-mail me if you have a problem.
Frank